The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Refurbishing metal appearing cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I have an appearing metal cane that I purchased ( or actually my mom bought me) around 1975 and needless to say it is rough looking. Is there any thing I can use to make it not look so worn? It works fine just looks very tarnished.

Thanks
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
All appearing and disappearing canes belong to the garbage bin.
Hey, that's not only my opinion, I share that idea with Eugene Burger
and Jamy Ian Swiss...

If you have a different notion, try a soft (low acid) olive oil mixed with metal polish.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
A cold bluing kit from a gun shop or sporting goods store can get the color back to normal. I would not use olive oil, organic oils tend to get gummy. Mineral oil, (NOT WD40) would be my choice.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I wonder if James Dimmare thinks they all belong in the garbage bin??
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Think of the act James Dimmare does.. with teh costume.. and the period look.. and then think of the rest of the goons using dancing canes...

Walking sticks simply aren't being used in real life.. so unless you're doing some sort of victorian act, an appearing or vanishing cane simply isn't very relavent.

On top of which, do you REALLY think they fool anyone?

But.. to answer your question.. gun bluing is good.. but there is actually a chemical that will turn steel BLACK. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is.. I had a bottle.. but it said BLACK PATINA on it.. and the company I bought it from (Tri-Ess Science in Burbank CA) has gone out of business..
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Thanks a lot, makeupguy. At least someone who thinks about using props properly
(hey, are these words related to each other?) - and not just because it's a nice (?) effect.
Sorry Markis, but if you had read what Burger and Swiss (and many others) have
released, you probably wouldn't have made this remark.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
You don't have to use it as cane. In in Geoffory Buckinghams its easier than you think, he uses it to produce a giant thimble. I have seen McBride change a feather into a cane in his “masks” act. Gawd, what a hack he is. I could give a rats @ss what Eugene Burger thinks of the appearing cane. I use it as a gag, I wasn't asking what the elite of magic fraternity thinks of the appearing cane, just how clean it up.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Makeupguy, thanks for the tip.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
It might be out of place for a young man, but in reality walking sticks and canes are making a come back, as baby-boomers are reaching the fifties, sixties and beyond.

If you have any martial art training, they can be a most effective weapon of self-defense. One that can greatly even the odds against youth and numbers.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Speaking of using it for martial arts when I did a magic at in the mid 1970's with another kid (billed as Marko and Kevini) I was srewing around with the cane and nailed him with the larger end of my appearing cane right in the middle of his forehead. He had a cut that was a perfect circle. Everything ended up Ok since I could out run him.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 18:26, markis wrote:
I could give a rats @ss what Eugene Burger thinks of the appearing cane. I use it as a gag, I wasn't asking what the elite of magic fraternity thinks of the appearing cane, just how clean it up.

I second that!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 21:18, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 18:26, markis wrote:
I could give a rats @ss what Eugene Burger thinks of the appearing cane. I use it as a gag, I wasn't asking what the elite of magic fraternity thinks of the appearing cane, just how clean it up.

I second that!

I also could not care what Burger or Swiss think of the cane effects. Their opinions are out of context as to how the cane might be used and are meaningless. If the cane works for you, by all means use it!

As to cleaning up your cane ...
1. The canes may be unrolled. I do this on a board with cross pieces clamped to hold both ends of the cane portion being worked on. I clean and blue/black only about 18 inches at a time - then roll up the treated section as I unroll the next section to be treated. You must be very careful to keep the cane under control to prevent it from quickly rolling back up and possibly injuring you.
2. The unrolled section is cleaned with a 0000 steel wool and lacquer thinner (wear nitrile gloves and work in well vented area - no sparks!). This is how I do it. You may also follow commercial suggstons found here:
http://members.aardvark.net.au/asteg/10black/182.htm

Additional info: http://www.e-blacksolutions.com/processCan.htm

The quantities indicated above are excessive; but there are businesses in about every city that will give you the few ounces required to do canes. Check with your local gun smiths.

For more options check out:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:x6MY......nt=opera

The product I use is this:
http://shootersolutions.com/vaningunblu.html

or this:
http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

Both of these products are available from local gun shops and better hardware stores for a few bucks. After the cane is redarkened, it must be lightly oiled. Wipe off excess oil. Your cane will be as good as or better than new.
Jim
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Thnks Jim!
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
FYI: Micky Hades put out an entire book on uses of the appearing cane, I think it is called Novel Magic with an Appearing Cane.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com