The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Does anyone know what tools are necessary to machine your own shells?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Oysters, clams, scallops, and snails all make nice shells. Smile

What kind of shells?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Coin shells
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Milling machine would be nice. And probably the easiest way to go. Not that it would be the cheapest though!

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Where could I find a milling machine?
And what other techniques are there?
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
A small lathe can do it, but unless you plan on going into business either machine will cost you more than the best quality shell you can buy.

A Sherline lathe ~$500, same for the mill. Not to mention the skill you would need to aquire. Short answer, yes, you can do it, but it will take you a lot of time to learn.

Mark
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Can anyone give me a link to such a machine? Does anyone have any experience in this field? and could I ever pick up a used machine?
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
The Sherline webpage is here:

http://www.sherline.com/

Another cheaper, if lesser quality is:

http://www.taigtools.com/mwlinks.html

As for used machines there are several on eBay right now.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Not only would you need the machine, but you need the appropriate tooling as well, which can run into a lot of money. There are a lot of props you could manufacture with a lathe and mill, but you must have or acquire metal working skills. If it interests you, I think it could be a lot of fun to manufacture custom coins. There are various dvd tutorials available on ebay, and you can find a lot of information in the two commonly available machining magazines (I am not sure of the titles, though the Barnes and Noble here stocks both of them). Good luck -

Bill
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
If you have a natural mechanical aptitude, made A s in geometry, able to think in thousandth of an inch, can read a micrometer and understand how to apply it, then pick up the newest copy of The Machinist Handbook and read it’s 1500 plus pages, before you buy any kind of a mill or lathe. If you answered no to even one, it would be to your advantage to enroll in a trade school that teaches milling and lathe use.

Also when you get ready to buy a machine, look at online auctions. There are a lot of them that are put up for sale, by people that thought, it would be easy. Only after investing a great deal of money and time did realize it’s much harder and more complicated than they ever imagined and are trying to recoup a small amount of their investment.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
The point I was trying to make was that unless you want another hobby you can buy the best coin gimmicks on the market for far less than a basic machine shop setup. Never mind the skill set needed to manufacture the shells.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Mark
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Is there a cheaper way to accomplish a shelled coin?
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Yes buy one that is all ready on the market.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 10:50, magicman899 wrote:
Is there a cheaper way to accomplish a shelled coin?

Yes.

1. You could buy what you want from someone who has invested money in equipment and time in developing the skills necessary. This would be cheaper, easier, and safer for you.

2. If you had any marketable skills, you could work out a swap with someone who was willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make coin shells and had thus acquired the skills/equipment. I currently need a block wall laid and am willing to make shell coins as a swap. This would cost you nothing. That's right - free coin shells!

3. You could inherit the required equipment and join a local machinists' club for instruction on how to use the machinery.

I'm surprised that some fool on The Magic Café has not suggested using a Dremel tool and described to all of us what wonderful coin shells he has made with this tool!

Paying your dues is the best way to get anything you really want.
Jim
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 13:21, JR-mobile1 wrote:

I'm surprised that some fool on The Magic Café has not suggested using a Dremel tool and described to all of us what wonderful coin shells he has made with this tool!

I was thinking the exact same thing.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
It sounds like I will be unable to accomplish what I was hoping. I think I might have to buy coin shells and the like, not make my own.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Don't try to re-invent the wheel, as the saying goes, unless you are deep serious in making some kind of commitment to this craft. If there is a particular need, the two well known coin gaff experts we all know, do custom work. If there is a particular coin you want to make into a shell, just acquire the coins of your choice and mail them to be done. Add that personal touch...I recently bought some beautiful old coins on ebay and they are at this moment in the hands of one of these two being machined into gaffs.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Might I ask which one?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Yes, I was curious as to which Coin man he was using.
Does anyone have a preference to which coin man they use?