The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tommy Wonder's (method three) Nest of Boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I've been considering taking on the daunting task of constructing Tommy Wonder's creation from book two of his Books of Wonder. There is a lot of "precise" instruction on thickness of metals, machined bushings and spacers, etc. I was curious if anyone has ever attempted to build this masterpiece?

For many of the pieces, I'm sure I will have to outsource for the proper fabrications to be made. If anyone has the skills of machining, metal experience with brass, aluminum, and stainless steel(possible access to a CNC machine)... I would be interested in your input and help with this project!

If you are interested, please PM me and we can discuss the specifics...

I look forward to tackling this project!

-Bryan Gilles
almazer
View Profile
New user
Athens,Greece
66 Posts

Profile of almazer
Hi, Bryan
It would be a great idea if you built this project. Tommy wonder`s props are really very intelligent and would be wonderfull if someone is able to go further to them. I`m sure that you have the building experience and with some help you`ll be able to accomplish this miracle!
Take care!
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
I am actually looking to pay ANYONE that will build that for me as well as the ring, watch, wallet... PM me if any is willing to do so....
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
But who owns the rights to make Tommy's stuff for commercial gain?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I only plan to make this for myself. I have always been a huge fan of Tommy's genius pieces... This table and his OLEC is probably two of the most ingenious illusions for modern day magicians.

Any idea who I can have machine the 32 nylon rings and that Teflon bushing?

-Bryan
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
I am a collector.... I would like just for the collection... not for the commercial gain.... I have been collecting for about 38 years and think this would be a great added addition
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Quote:
<snip>

Any idea who I can have machine the 32 nylon rings and that Teflon bushing?

-Bryan

The nylon and teflon machining are the least of the problems in building this effect. Besides the "rights" considerations, there are good resaons why this item is not made commercially - there is too much time involved in constructing all of the little parts which much work together flawlessly. There would be few magicians/collectors willing to pay the final price on the completed apparatus. Building it for oneself is one thing; but building it for others and keeping the business profitable is an entirely different situation. This is definitely an item which needs to be made out of love.
Jim
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Well said Jim!

As I mentioned, Tommy is my favorite and I think just being able to build his masterpiece from his specific instructions would give a great appreciation and respect for the work he went through, to bring the rest of the world incredible magic!

-Bryan
almazer
View Profile
New user
Athens,Greece
66 Posts

Profile of almazer
Hi Bryan,
Go ahead buddy, these props should need a lot of patience and craftmanship, yet it worth the effort for someone who intends to do so! There will be solutions on
the nylon and teflon machining,look at this link: http://www.thomasnet.com
Hope that this help!
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
The late Tommy Wonder published detailed plans. I always thought publication implies permission to create and use a given effect. To give a converse example, the reason Jason Lattimer hasn't published his clear cups and balls routine (which I imagine would require some construction) is that he isn't ready to give others permission to perform it. Am I missing something here?
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
In general, when someone publishes plans for a piece of magical apparatus, it is with the implied consent to make that object for yourself, but not to market it to others. I would not consider making these for sale to others without the consent of Tommy's estate. What do you think?
almazer
View Profile
New user
Athens,Greece
66 Posts

Profile of almazer
Bryan just mentioned above, that he is considering to build this apparatus for himself, yet he would like to share with us his thoughts here at the Café!
We are not talking for commercial gains right now.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Reread my post, I said for commercial gain. If it is not being done for that purpose and for yourself, it is permitted. Just don't expect any books for my effects to be published.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
To clarify, I am not insinuating that Bryan is intending to produce these for others. Mydogripper asked if Bryan would consider making an extra for him - this raises the question of ethics in manufacturing magic effects. Bryan has made no indication that he plans on manufacturing these for resale, so I am not accusing Bryan, just replying to the issue raised by kerpa. I am not trying to start a fight (all too common here on the Café), just addressing a point.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Ok now I appreciate the distinction , but I would think it would be ok to outsource making components for a prop used in one's own show as long as the prop isn't resold.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Of course.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Ahh... I hope my topic isn't starting arguements... This is a piece I would love to build... It's almost a labor of love to some degree.. I'm thinking this will be one of those projects that slowl comes together of the course of a year or two...

-Bryan
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Bryan;
If you do decide to make this item, be sure to get the Tommy Wonder 3 DVD set. It will be a big help.
Jim
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Already own them...

I'm fortunate to have an uncle-by-marriage who owns a CNC cutter... He is currently helping with the "arm" and the table top. I've outsourced some help on the bushings... I will probably build the box from small sheets of mahogany, cherry, walnut, or oak... (Other than the difference in the box's materials of construction, I don't intend to change the design or materials within the rest of the project).

I would like to reiterate that I only intend to build ONE for myself; strictly stated for those who are concerned with the "rights" topic! I appreciate the few PM's I've recieved; however, ethically, I will not build anymore than one for myself. Tommy Wonder was and is my favorite magician/ creator of magic and I will not disgrace his works for a few bucks!!!

If anyone else has taken on this task of construcing the Nest of Boxes; as described in Tommy's books, I would love to hear about the progress and outcome of your endevours.

-Bryan Gilles

p.s.- I am having trouble finding an alarm clock like the one Tommy used... I know the book says to have one machined... any idea on machining the "threads" for the back to screw onto?
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Bryan;
Nothing on this effect should be built or cut until the clock is made. The whole thing revolves around the size of the clock. You will most likely not be able to use the dimensions given in the book. The cheapest way to make the clock would be to gut a commercially available clock and machine the tapered adaptor and threaded section. This could be attached after machining. I have a couple "brass" clock bodies in my shop which could be modified to work excellently. Both are identicle but have different brand names on them. One is a Westclox and the other a Tozaj. The advantage here is that the completed clock would resemble a commonly seen clock.

I would go the modified clock body route (especially since I have two suitable clock bodies just collecting dust). Barring this, the clock body could be spun or built up from tubing and plate stock. If I chose to go with a completely custom clock body, I would spin the clock to the shape/size I wanted; but I have the capability to do so. This is not necessary to make a decent clock, though.

I would thread the connector with something in the 8 - 10 tpi range so that it would take the spectator a bit of untwisting to open the clock. The stop pin is critical to prevent jamming of the threads.

Good luck on the project.
Jim