The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Where can I learn to make a person vanish? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
VisualRiddles
View Profile
New user
Clarion, Pennsylvania
41 Posts

Profile of VisualRiddles
Looking for plans or teachings on how to make a person vanish.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Illusion Works and/or Illusion Systems. Also search illusions on http://www.magicauction.com.
Aim To Amaze
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
1. Do you know how to make a small object (like a coin) vanish?
2. Do you know how to make a small animal (like a dove or a bunny) vanish?
3. Do you have any stage illusions that make a person APPEAR?

What I'm getting at is, from your small number of posts, we don't know at what stage you are in your magic training. You need to start at the beginning (#1) and work your way up (#3). If you can make a person appear, then you are ready to take the next step and learn how to make a person disappear.

Don't get me wrong- there are many, many steps IN-BETWEEN the ones I listed, but if you can answer (not just "yes" or "no") which METHODS of each (1 to 3) you already know how to do, then we can judge if you are ready to learn how to make a person vanish, or if you should start practicing on eggs or mice instead.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
First.. get a tarp.. a chainsaw.. and a bucket...
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Easiest method is found in Paul Harris' "conversations from the edge" in AOA...
VisualRiddles
View Profile
New user
Clarion, Pennsylvania
41 Posts

Profile of VisualRiddles
Thanks for the info guys. I have been in magic for a couple of years. Just doing birthday parties for family and the guys at work and friends. I am the casual performer. I don't have much interest in making animals disappear but if you have to take that step I'd be willing to learn.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 03:43, makeupguy wrote:
First.. get a tarp.. a chainsaw.. and a bucket...

What model chainsaw?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
David Bond
View Profile
Regular user
Maple Valley, WA
107 Posts

Profile of David Bond
Just start talking mathematics and other geeky things. It usually works for me. Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you want to perform for an audience of one person at a time, there is a wonderful method you can use to make yourself disappear and then reappear several feet behind the person, or even reappear in a different room. It is the kind of thing you can do to your family or friends on a one to one basis with no apparatus and completely impromptu, but if anyone sees you perform it on someone else, the mystery is gone. However, if you can keep them from observing you perform it on someone else, the mystery for the "victim" is intense. Does that interest you? Or do you just want a big box trick?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

VisualRiddles
View Profile
New user
Clarion, Pennsylvania
41 Posts

Profile of VisualRiddles
I was just looking at magicnook.com, Spellbinder. I couldn't beleive what I saw there....PVC Pipe Illusions. I might not have much experience on vanishings, but I have installed infloor plumbing for over 10 years, and still doing so for a living. I would be all for something like that. Can you give me any info on which one a beginner should start with. I thought about starting wiht just one plan for now, Tip-Over Trunk Illusion.
VisualRiddles
View Profile
New user
Clarion, Pennsylvania
41 Posts

Profile of VisualRiddles
I reread about the Tip-Over Trunk, I see it's for making people appear not disappear.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The best PVC Pipe vanishes requires a full stage with lighting and several assistants - That would include the Appearing/Vanishing Archway (Book 1), the Garden Gate Illusion (Book 1), the very clever (in my opinion) Litter Vanish (Book 2), and the Vampire Cape Vanish (Book 2).

For birthday parties, you might consider The Square-Square Illusion (Book 2), done in reverse as in "The Boy to Rabbit", but the spectator can generally figure out what is happening and unless they are "in the know" may give away the secret afterwards. However, that Illusion could be done at a party setting and does not require a stage. It is usually used as a production of a whole bunch of stuff, ending up with a live person. If you have a family member willing to be your "assistant" it might be better than trying to do a vanish.
Professor Spellbinder

VisualRiddles
View Profile
New user
Clarion, Pennsylvania
41 Posts

Profile of VisualRiddles
Indeed, I don't have the set up for a stage vanish. I think I am going to get the Square-Square Illusion. For five bucks you cant go wrong, I'll let you know how it goes. Where can I find the resource for the other impromptu method you described a few posts ago.....sounds interesting!
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
You can also checkout Andrew Maynes books
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Here's the problem with vanishes at in small venues...they have to come back sometime.. either during the effect.. or worse.. after.

Once the person vanishes.. how are you going to do the reveal. Just let them walk away from backstage? That turns the effect into a puzzle that people can normally deconstruct.