The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Cutting a pen in two (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
I need a way to cut a pen in half. Preferably one of those Bic pens. I've tried scissors, a knife, and a hatchet. None seems to get a clean cut. I don't want it length wise, just along the width. It should be cut where the "|" is.----|----- something like that preferably. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Try a Band Saw with a very fine blade then clean it up with a disc sander or block sand with 320 grit up to 600 grit or so. If you have no access to a Band Saw, use a hand held fine blade Coping Saw or something similiar. Just an opinion, many other cleaner methods but they are not easy to come by. Hope this helps.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
ReaL2ReeL
View Profile
New user
Jackson, Ms
22 Posts

Profile of ReaL2ReeL
You can get a small aluminum mitre box and a razor saw at a hobby supply store. The razor saw can be had in various teeth per inch, and it makes a good clean cut.

Hope this helps,
ed
Where words fail, music speaks.
"Honey, where's the AmEx?"
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
You can also buy a small tubing cutter at the same hobby store - after all, a pen body is just a plastic tube.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
Just make sure to take the ink out first! Smile
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
ReaL2ReeL
View Profile
New user
Jackson, Ms
22 Posts

Profile of ReaL2ReeL
I've used my tubing cutter on plastic, and unless you take your time and go really slow, it will deform the plastic. For ice makers it is no big deal, but for the pen, it might matter. Smile It does work though.

ed
Where words fail, music speaks.
"Honey, where's the AmEx?"
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
Yeah for the pen, it would matter. And one other question, I need the ink to also be a little less than half, fitting in the front half of the pen. This way I can show the pen still writes and then can show it to be an "ungimmicked" pen. I am thinking I could just cut it then melt the end real fast.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!