The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Hardboard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Where can this type of board be found? Strong, lightweight, and thin. I looked all over the Home Depot lumber department and found nothing.

Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Home Depot and Lowes both sell hardboard as thin as 1/8" Unfortunately, it has only one smooth side. The reverse is pebble-grained. Until recently, Lowes was stocking 1/8" chalkboard panelling. It had 2 surfaced sides and the green side was basically already primed for painting. I just found out the other day that they closed it out and will not be restocking it. Apparently, that is a company wide decision. Such is typical... everytime I locate a decent product for my use, the store discontinues it. Smile

Lowes does have whiteboard (dry erase) panelling, though, but I'm not sure how well the white side will take paint. It may be worth experimenting.

For now, if all I need is a smaller piece surfaced 2 sides, I will have to settle for cutting up a clipboard.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Most lumber yards sell what you're looking for. It's called tempered hardboard. (The brand name used is masonite.) Neither Home Depot nor Lowes carry it in my area but I can get it from Witt Lumber (a local lumber yard.)

Michael
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Just make sure you're getting the *tempered* version. The non-tempered version doesn't cut well -- the edges basically turning into fuzz when your saw is finished.
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the local lumber yard.

One other question - What is the best way to cut hardboard or masonite?

Mike
Mike Perrello
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
A high quality carbide tipped table saw blade or circular saw blade with lots of teeth (60 teeth or more on a 10" table saw blade.) To minimize chipping at the edges, you can run a piece of masking tape over the line where you will cut on the side the blade comes through (bottom on table saw or top on circular saw.)

Michael
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thank you Michael.
Mike Perrello