The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Finding 3/8" Birch Plywood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Do any of you know where I might find 3/8" thick birch plywood in the South?

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Have you checked places like Home Depot? If they don't have it then I'd check the phone book under lumber, and make some calls to local lumber yards. If they don't have what you are looking for, I'm sure they can tell you who does.

Brian
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Amos,

In smaller pieces (12" x 24"), Michael's carries it in their section of aircraft ply (near the balsa and basswood).

Since I generally make smaller items, this works for me. I also am a cost cutter. I get the coupons that they send out in the mail (included with their weekly ad). 40% off a single item saves you a good chunk of money in the long run. I will often stop by when I am in the area and pick up a sheet of 3/8", 1/4", or 1/8", whether I need it or not at the time... eventually I will.

Woodcraft also carries (when they decide to stock their store) Finnish and Baltic Birch, and I have found pieces as large as 24" x 48". I think 3/8" is among the thicknesses they carry.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The area I live in has many lumber yards and home centers, but none of them carry 3/8" birch. None of them carry 1/2" either, but I have been able to get that through a friend at a cabinet and millwork company. For the time being I could probably use 24"x48", but the largest I've found in 3/8" is 24"x30".

Amos McCormick
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Amos;
The "good stuff" comes in 5' x 5' sheets - that's 60" x 60". The catch is that to get it full sheet size, you'll need to pick it up. Here are a couple sources:
http://www.bristolvalley.com/catalog.asp?prodid=296590
http://www.woodnshop.com/hardwood/Baltic_Birch_Plywood.htm

If you needed enough of it, you could have it shipped in full sheets by carriers like Yellow Freight. For small quantities, the shipping would cost too much.

If you have a local cabinet maker that uses a lot of it, you might piggy back an order with the cabinet maker's shipment.
Jim
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Jim,

Thanks for the references. One is in St. Louis, which isn't too far away, but Memphis or New Orleans would be better for me. I'm trying to get a large, local cabinet shop to order some. They don't use that thickness, however, so they are having problems finding it from their regular suppliers. They were able to get me some nice 1/2" birch a couple of years ago, so I'm hoping they will come through on this.

Amos McCormick
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Hi Amos,
I noticed you mentioned being close to Memphis. This place is great!
http://www.colcofinewoods.com/
I have bought lots of 3/8 baltic birch ply in 5X5 and full size 5x8 sheets. They also have 1/2 and 3/8 plywood in cherry, walnut, maple and others for any special projects you may have. They carry TONS of exotic solid woods too.
Colco is a great place and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
How close to Memphis are you?
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
I found that in florida, the aspen plywood is MUCH better quality than the birch (at least what lowes and home depot have available).
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Don't go to the general-use home centers. Look for the specialty shops that cater to cabinet builders. Or, give some local cabinet builders a call and they might be able to direct you to a supplier in your area. I found mine (and, yes, it comes in 60"X60" sheets, which limits it's use for some magic cabinets!) at a dealer of hardwoods.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I live in northern California, (Bay Area) and have had a hard time finding 3/8" plywood in Birch. None of the local lumberyards or home improvement stores carries it. I haven't checked at a few specialty hardwood stores in Berkeley and I would suspect they can get it. I checked at a doll house workshop in Benicia and he orders it but he says it is expensive.

Dan
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have located 5'x5' sheets of 3/8" birch in Memphis at Hardwoods of Memphis, and it's not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Get a woodworking magazine and look at the ads in the back, plenty of places to order any type of speciality wood or ply you want.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Quite frequently the catch phrase "It's expensive" means "I don't want to go to the trouble of ordering one sheet." Be sure to ask for a dollar amount.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-04-18 09:17, Dave Dorsett wrote:
Quite frequently the catch phrase "It's expensive" means "I don't want to go to the trouble of ordering one sheet." Be sure to ask for a dollar amount.

Yep, something about $60 shipping on a $30 sheet of plywood pretty much kills the deal for me...
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I get hardwood ply wood in from AP plywood. they can order what you need but hold onto your wallet it's gonna hurt unless you are buying a truckload. I use 9ply 7/8 double birch in 4x8 sheets by the pallet load. when your talking $85 a sheet in bulk that's a lot but hey our customer is paying for it.
eyebuildillusions
View Profile
New user
Fairview Park , Ohio
29 Posts

Profile of eyebuildillusions
Very good resources. I can always count on Rockler for 1/2 sheets of 3/8 Birch ply
A little pricey. But very good quality
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=846
"Give them a good show and they will gladly pay the price of admission.”
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
I looked under "woodworking supplies" in the phonebook and found a place.
5' x 5' sheet was $39.99.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Eyebuildillusions, thank you for the Rockler link. It turns out there is a store 15 minutes away from where I live.

Dan