The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Looking for a type of fabric (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hello

I am looking for a certain type of fabric which feels like velvet but is slightly strecthable. Does anyone know if such fabrics exist? What is it called?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Double black stretch velvet is available, and does exist... I'll have to ask a friend if he knows a mail order source- but web searches may help
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
What you are looking for is "Stretch Velvet." That should provide you with the necessary stretch, but if not there are also some types of "fuzzy" lycra Spandex, that should give you a LOT more stretch. Here is a link to an online retailer who sells Stretch Velvet: http://www.baerfabrics.com/products.asp?cat=647 .

I hope that helps.

Nick Fox

PS: When dealing with stretchy fabrics, you generally want "4-way stretch" which means that it stretches along its length and width. 2-way stretch is designed to stretch more in one direction than the other.
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
I just found that velveteen is made from cotton and feels like velvet. What do you guys think about velveteen?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
It depends on your application. If you're going for a Black Art effect, true velvet offers a more convincing finished product.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering