The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Twister building (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Hi,

I am thinking of building a twister illusion.

As far as plans go, are the osborne plans for this good? Are there others that may be better available?

Has anyone had any problems building this in the past?

The only thing I am seeing a problem with may be the head box part. Any thoughts? Is this covered in the Osborne plans?

thanks

scott
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Osborne plans are not detailed plans. You will have to figure a lot of the measurements and materials out your self. If you are not a cabinet maker, I suggest you be-friend one and figure out all the measurements 1st.

I do not know of any other workshop plans available. But then again a search may turn up something I have missed. Most if not all magic plans are a mix of schematics and workshop plans. I have never seen any printed with all details given.

You will have to take the plunge and invest in the plans to see if they would fit your needs.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
This is perfect timing for this post.... this project has been on the back-burner for me... I'd love to see your progress as you take on this endevour...

Bryan

p.s.- Oh-yah, if you are looking for a decent price on a lazy susan, check out Lee Valley or Rockler.. I found they are in the department of $35-$60.00 depending upon the "hole" size on the box for the head...
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Hey,

I am in the mids of building a twister illusion too.. and I realised that it would work fine just buying a Head Twister off the rack and installing it to the cabinet.

Firstly it eleminates all the angles problem as the head is twisted inside the head box and secondly you don't need a lazy susan. The head box can be detachable and used as a normal head twister for smaller shows.

Just an idea.

Regards,
Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
JoePresto
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of JoePresto
Has anyone experienced any problems performing Twister with a spot light on the illusion? I understand that a spot light could tip the method.

Thanks,

Joe
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If the color/pattern on the inside of the box is "busy" enough, this shouldn't be a problem. When I built one I used some fabric that I found at Wal-Mart that had a black background and some "amoeba-looking" figures of various bright colors. There was no discernable pattern to the fabric, so no amount of light could tip the method unless a spectator was standing right next to it.

I did use Osborne plans, but I modified it substantially by measuring the person who was to be twisted and building it to fit her.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Would velvet (or some fabric with the same texture) work as well... I know velvet absorbs light pretty well...

-Bryan
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Most performers use a medium gray as their inside color. This is one of those "Don't run if you're not being chased" moments, and the color shouldn't matter that much. There's really no reason for a BA effect, but I'm sure it would work. I would be a bit concerned about the smooth movement of certain necessary items, however.

Amos McCormick
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I recently purchased a Twister illusion, but it doesn't make the ratcheting sound. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how I could modify mine to accomplish this?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I made a gear-shaped wheel that fit on the bottom of the head box, with a piece of ½" wide spring steel mounted on the body box to give the ratchet sound.

Amos McCormick
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Our Twister cloth is bright yellow with vertical black stripes. It works very well and is extremely 'fair' by being so bright.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Kevin, what color are the inside top and bottom?

Amos McCormick
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Amos...
The inside top and bottom are black.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &