The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tear Apart Vanish (magnetic tips) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I've been kicking around the idea of building a tear apart vanish to be used in a Where Do the Ducks Go-style effect. I was curious as to the construction of the box. After the lid is removed and placed on the "special" table top, what holds the remainder of the box from falling apart? I'm sure there are several methods to keeping it together. I was considering counter-sinking small rare-earth magnets into the tips at matching spots on each of the four side-walls and applying laminate over the magnet. I figured the magnet would be strong enough to hold the corners together until the "take-apart" portion of the illusuion... Does this sound like an easy fix or does anyone have any other ideas?

Bryan Gilles
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The traditional box is held together by grooves in the base which keep the sides upright when the top is removed. Your magnet idea sounds practical though, as long as the magnets don't get you into trouble in other ways (by attracting the wrong things at the wrong times, for example). As long as you're into things magnetic, you might consider making the load chamber attach magnetically. That way, when you have completely dismantled the box, all the pieces, including the top, can be picked up and tossed off, showing both sides.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I was aware of the groove but was never happy with the "box" prematurely coming apart at the corners... I'll have to play around with the depth and placement of each magnet. LOL...magnets have become a constant interest recently as you can see from several of my more recent posts. Smile

Bryan
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I don't see why magnets wouldn't work as far as they are properly positioned. Rare-earth magnets should have no problems with the laminate. I have built some props which have used magnets to attach pieces and they have worked just fine.

A friend of mine really wanted his to be TEAR apart vanish so we used velcro on his so he got the sound effect he wanted Smile

I really like Spellbinder's idea of leaving the load chamber behind so the top can be freely shown as well. Would add a great deal to the effect.
Sent from my Typewriter
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Bryan,
The only reason why other boxes sides fall open prematurely is due to crappy craftsmanship. The "groove" works perfect if you spend a few minutes to make them as tight as possible without creating too much resistance when removing the panels.
Our version has a very minimal, if any, dropping of the sides when the lid is removed. So I can assure you it can be done.
The other versions you may have seen, which have this fault, are banged out with low tolerance ratings so they can make them quicker.
Adding magnets would be a wasted effort and troublesome when stacking/storing the panels.
No need to run when ya aint being chased.
Take care
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Chance is right. Good craftsmanship will cover a mutitude of sins. Come to think of it, they just won't be there!

One other option for a nice secure fit would be to cut dados near the edge of the pieces. Hard to describe, but sort of a tongue and groove fit when done. The left end of the front piece fits into a dado on the right end of the adjoining piece. The left end of that piece fits into a dado on the right end of the back piece, and so on around. Beats the heck out of trying to countersink and properly orient as many sets of little tiny magnets.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Excellent advice to all! Basically a little measurement on the router and it'll be done in a snap!

Thanks guys!!!

Bryan
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
A bar magnet would work fine, the REM might be too strong - could tug the box out of whack sending it to the stage. The traditional latches always seem awkward during performance, but, they work every time.
POOF!