The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tables.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey guys.. I have been wanting to start a line of tables for us magicians that can't afford 500 dollar custom mades. I've been working on a few different models for the past year, so I know the quality is where I want them to be, for the price. Within the next few weeks I will be developing final copies of them and will post some pictures for you guys to check out. I just want some opinions for now.

Thanks!

Justin.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
What kind of tables are they? I'd love to see pics.

Dave
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey Dave how are ya.

Well, I started out with just a basic table with 2 shelves and some casters/wheels. I know what it's like to be a kid without enough money to get something nice. I have a background in carpentry, so I wanted to go with something a little more complex, geared more towards bird workers. IE extra ditches, new ways to place ditches, and what not. It will take me a few more weeks to get the finishing touches on the final copies, but when I do I will post pictures right away.

I just like to get everyones opinions first, before I start marketing anything. I might even send one or two out for evaluation before I start to sell them.

I love helping people out, and I think a table is key to any new... or even old.. act.

Justin David

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Hey Justin David-
I am going to be starting to get into bird magic in about a week (getting 4 doves) so I would definitely be interested in a table good for bird magic. I can't wait to see the pics! Do you know the price range for the tables?
-Michael Platt
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I don't have prices exactly yet, it would depend on how you would like the table (I would give you options). After I post the pictures, let me know the style you like and we can go from there. I'd love to help get you started.

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hey there Justin!

I'd love to see some of your work. I'm not sure if you are wanting an opinion of what we want or what we think of your work...

As far as table construction goes, I would really focus on the base the table is built on. Regardless, if I was to market a new table to the magic community, I'd try to move away from the typical chrome pole and 4-legged bases that everyone has marketed already.

For sake of argument, Lets look at a couple different tables that are already on the market. Please note that I am not posting a review or saying one is better than the other. This is strictly personal opinion as I have owned several of the table bases I will be describing.

First of all, look at the bases Wellington Enterprises offers for their tables... They are so practical for a traveling performer. They are 3 legged and unscrew/fold flat enough to pack into a briefcase... not to mention, they have a very modern and sleek appearance. Very nice!!!

Next, check out the pro-rolling table by Doug Malloy. Doug makes a beautiful table with sleek lines of the aluminum trim on black motif and the traditional pole and four-legged base on caster wheels (much like Chalet and many others use). The table can be disassembled easily for transportation or storage. Unlike the Wellington table, Malloy's table does not allow the base to be broken down to fit in a small case. I am currently using two of these tables and have been happy with the appearance and stability of them.

Now consider the Eureka Base. This is perfect for the birthday party entertainer. The table sets up in a snap and can fold down for easy transportaion of storage; however, this base screams party performer! (just my opinion) I've owned one and was pleased with the practical uses I got out of it.

As far as the table top, I'd think about a variety of choices:

For the close-up guys, maybe make something in a beautiful oak (or exotic wood) trim with a decent sized working surface. Throw in some coin and card slots for easy access to the performer and a servante and you've got a great table!

For the bird workers, maybe make it a utility table with a deceptive top to perform appropriet steals and ditches in their routine.

For the parlor performer, I'd add a shelf or two for storage of un-used tricks, etc... I would also build it so the table can be disassembled and used as a carrying case for the pole and base for transporting. Maybe even include a black-well in the top for those once-in-a-while vanishes!

Just a couple ideas!

No matter what, have fun with your building as that's the funnest part of the deal! I'd love to see pictures so keep me informed... If you need another builder/designers input, never hesitate to contact me!

Good Luck!

Bryan Gilles
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey Bryan thanks!

While I am somewhat new to building, I've had so many ideas stewing around for a long time.

I would never want to take away from someone elses business... my purpose is solely to help younger/less fortunate magicians, and obviously start a small business for myself, that one day I could possibly build upon.

It's an obsession of mine to keep coming up with new ideas.

Bryan send me a PM with your e-mail or instant messanger screen name so we can talk sometime.

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I'm going to build a few tables in the near future...I'll post pics when they are done...

Bryan
taqpoll
View Profile
New user
Mpls,MN
1 Post

Profile of taqpoll
Hi

Say, I'm trying to save a buck and learn at the same time. I've been gearing up to design a table top to fit my Eureka base. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to start. I want to put in a servante and a coin and card slot. Since my only guides are what I see online, the ones I see are not much help. Does anyone know of good resource either online or print that offers help for designing a close up table top?
Thanks

Eddy - Mpls, MN
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
I'm in the process of designing a top for my table, and am journaling it on my website. I've not actually started construction yet, but I've purchased most of the materials I'll need. You can check it out at http://alphahelical.com/magic/table.php.

Cheers!
Keith
"It is February, and time to take ink and weep.
One must always write of February while weeping."
-Boris Pasternak

"That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world." -H.P. Lovecraft
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Check out Michael Ammar's closeup table plans: http://tinyurl.com/n3j9b
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 09:49, Marvello wrote:

YUCK! That looks awful. It looks worse than those wabbly folding card tables and those have four legs. I love Michael's stuff but I think this table looks really cheap.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 10:17, MikeDes wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 09:49, Marvello wrote:

YUCK! That looks awful. It looks worse than those wabbly folding card tables and those have four legs. I love Michael's stuff but I think this table looks really cheap.

Actually in person it looks pretty good, IMO. He designed it with 3 legs to keep it stable on uneven surfaces.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
Actually in person it looks pretty good, IMO. He designed it with 3 legs to keep it stable on uneven surfaces.

Well since you have seen a real one and I'm just looking at a picture, you would be in a better position to judge. Are you going to build one?
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 11:09, MikeDes wrote:
Well since you have seen a real one and I'm just looking at a picture, you would be in a better position to judge. Are you going to build one?

I have already built 2 of them - they work well, and look nice - I have received compliments from people, wondering where to buy them, etc..
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 14:01, Marvello wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 11:09, MikeDes wrote:

I have already built 2 of them - they work well, and look nice - I have received compliments from people, wondering where to buy them, etc..

Can you give a list of the parts needed to make an Ammar table ?
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I think if you BUY the plans from Michael Ammar, a list of materials would be included!!!

John
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
I don't necessarily think Pablo's asking for a free ride on the Ammar plans, but simply trying to find out if the table is within his capabilities to make. For instance (since I've not built an Ammar table either), are you supposed to find prefab table legs, or do you make those yourself by the plans? It could have quite a bearing on whether he has the tools for the job. (Though I'm building my own design with a coping saw and a borrowed drill, so if he has more than that, he should be set, eh?)

Cheers!
Keith
"It is February, and time to take ink and weep.
One must always write of February while weeping."
-Boris Pasternak

"That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world." -H.P. Lovecraft
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
The legs are prefabricated for the Ammar close-up table. It doesn't require a whole lot of woodworking skill to make his table, which is one of its strengths.

Michael
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I think the biggest problem I have with Ammar's table (and not that I have any reason to use one) is visual: three legs on a large square top. With three legs, it would look a lot more "together" in real life as well as in the photos if it had a round top.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"