The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Silk cabby (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mfreno
View Profile
New user
Dexter, Michigan
72 Posts

Profile of mfreno
My latest project is a silk cabby but I'm having a difficult time trying to quite it down. I've tried some fabric ease the sound but it did not help much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Have you tried graphite? However, once you have quieted it down, you have to clean off most of the excess graphite so your silks won't come out dirty.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I restored a Milson Worth Silk Cabby, and had the same problem. I used graphite, as Spellbinder recommends, and it worked very well. I just used it real sparingly, and wiped off all the excess. I noticed it will scratch paint if you're not careful.

I don't think you'll ever be able to get it totally quiet, unless you have a cabby with a swivel load chamber. I think all of the "elevator" styles will make a little noise, so you have to lower them slowly.

There are some pictures of it on my amateur website; scroll about 1/2 way down:

http://members.cox.net/ronreid/

Ron
mfreno
View Profile
New user
Dexter, Michigan
72 Posts

Profile of mfreno
Quote:
On 2006-03-15 11:20, Ron Reid wrote:
Hello:

I restored a Milson Worth Silk Cabby, and had the same problem. I used graphite, as Spellbinder recommends, and it worked very well. I just used it real sparingly, and wiped off all the excess. I noticed it will scratch paint if you're not careful.

I don't think you'll ever be able to get it totally quiet, unless you have a cabby with a swivel load chamber. I think all of the "elevator" styles will make a little noise, so you have to lower them slowly.

There are some pictures of it on my amateur website; scroll about 1/2 way down:

http://members.cox.net/ronreid/

Ron

Nice work! Your paint finishs look great. You must have taken your time with each piece.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Try teflon tape used to smooth out wood drawer glides.
POOF!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You may also be able to locate Teflon powder, which is sold as a dry lubricant for model railroads. It is white, so the staining problem associated with graphite powder should be reduced.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why not just cover the inside gimmick with cloth or felt. This would make it totally quiet in operation. Maybe even flock contact paper would work well.