The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Sefalaljia Spirit Cabinet (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Have just obtained a bound volume of The Jinx Magazine, and found the Cabinet of Sefalaljia by Stewart James.
I have never heard of this before (being a Children's Magician), but it blew me away.

I have decided to build one, but only two of the routines are suitable:-

Ball jumping into glass & Ring on ribbon.

The others are weak - One requires chemicals to produce smoke, another is just a self-knotting silk effect, and the last one disappearing milk in a glass.

I am trying to come up with some other ideas - I was wondering if anyone has built this, or, knowing the effect, can suggest any other 'miracles' I could include.

Thanks in anticipation

Alan
Mister Wizzy

Smile
Alan
Mister Wizzy
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Never saw one myself. Have some very nice laminated wood in the garage, I was saving for a thownsend ultimate production box. I had planned on setting it up for a ball in glass, and ring on off rope type effect. I don't know if doing too much with the same box is a good idea though. Can you describe it a little more? Size, shape etc.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
In the original article, the box was a rectangle 17"x7"x7" (which I think is too big).

It had a curtain covering the front open aperture, and a hole at each of the sides.

The top (which did not open), had a skull in the middle to which the gimmick to move the sponge ball was attached.

There were 5 routines:

Ball jumps into glass.
Borrowed ring is found pinned onto a long ribbon which had been visible at each side all the time.
Cigar placed in glass starts to smoke.
Hank thrown into box ties itself.
Glass of milk visibly empties itself.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Buy the Paul Curry book "World's Beyond" and do some of the rope tricks [from that book] inside the box.

Call it "Alan's Box", but don't try to market it... it's been done.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Thank you Thomas

I already have "Worlds Beyond", but did not notice the rope effects at the end of the book.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Also found some information on 'Dean's Box' by doing a search on here.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
See if you can find a copy of James' Sefalaljia Two. (It might be in the Stewrad James in Print book -- I don't have a copy, so someone else will have to check.) It was published in 1982. That's over 40 years of thinking added.

There are 8 phases in the Sefalaljia Two.

1. Borrowed Ring on Lace
2. Four rings on Lace
3. Rings on Brass Rod
4. Knot on Rope
5. Linking Ropes
6. Nail bending
7. Ball kicked out of cabinet
8. Tumber turns upside down and traps pill vials.

Just remember Sefalaljia, the cabinet, is just a means of providing cover. Anything that requires cover should be able to be modified to present the effect.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Thanks for that Jeff.

I have been doing a little research and spotted a footnote in 'Linked' (Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond) referring to another version of 'Linked' which Stewart James incorporated into Sefalaljia 2.

Apparently it is in The James File Vol 2 Page 2298.

There is also a mention of another Sefalaljia-type routine by Dean Dill.

If anyone has any more details, wishes to sell either of the above books, or intends making a cabinet, I would like to hear from you.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
I am also interested in getting any plans for
make your own Tricks.
Where can I find, anything?
Thanks
Steve
zzz
Ps Kingstardog
where were you in electronics training?
z
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
Jeff Busby made a beautiful Sefalajia Spirit Cabinet. It had several phases ending with a toy football flying out. It was a self contained act.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Dallas, Boston, and Miami. I heard it at all of them. The boards we used ro work with run from 5-12k so a mistake is not an option.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
The Dill Dill Sefalaljia routine is his "Dean's Box". Check out his VIP postings this week.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Quote:
On 2002-11-11 11:00, Count Elmsley wrote:
Have just obtained a bound volume of The Jinx Magazine, and found the Cabinet of Sefalaljia by Stewart James.
I have never heard of this before (being a Children's Magician), but it blew me away.

Smile

Please save me time and tell me where it is located in The Jinx.

Thank you.
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Jinx Vol 2 (Number 69 December 2nd 1939)

page 471 in bound volume
Alan
Mister Wizzy
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
This routine is also easily accessed in the book, Annemann's Practical Mental Effects...

Kreskin has used his collapsable version of this before...I saw him do it on The Tonight Show...He only did the ball in glass effect..and instead of a skull he used a candle.
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Quote:
On 2003-07-14 18:26, Count Elmsley wrote:
Jinx Vol 2 (Number 69 December 2nd 1939)

page 471 in bound volume

Thank you.
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I have built two of the in the past starting with one made as described in the Jinx and a second made much different. I think what you can do with a box like this is only limited to your imagination. The second one I made was with the idea of at one point putting a pad and pen inside. Close the curtain on the front and ask a question at which point you would here the pen scribbling on the pad. Jerk open the front and the pen can be seen standing up and moving around as this it is writing and of course the pad would the show a "written" answer.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
Didn't Tabby "Tabbman" sell a version of this effect....
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
725 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-17 19:36, trey wrote:
Didn't Tabby "Tabbman" sell a version of this effect....

He sold two of them. He finished and sold out the run of the first version, but unfortunately Tabman only finished about 1/2 of the run of the second version before he passed away.
Cardstuntman
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Cardstuntman
I made this little Mad Tiki Hut themed Spirit Box the other day. I found an old shadowbox frame and some beat up plywood added a few extra things I had laying around. I was playing with making my own stencils more than anything. This is a prototype more than a finished jewel. I have decided to get rid of the monkeys paw (skull in original) and go with a baby rattle that I am going to voodoo up some. I can Chant,Rattle and Roll.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k606......16fe.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k606......ce41.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k606......8a66.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k606......27f2.jpg
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Looks good, Cardstuntman. Why not cut a hole in each side and then do the 'joining ropes' ala Stewart James?

If you are worried about people seeing inside, you could put curtains inside the openings - would look posh!
Alan
Mister Wizzy