The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: 20th Century Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Everyone,
I've always performed 20th Century Silks using a method outlined in a very old Harry Stanley Catalogue! Does this date me, or what! I've never really been happy with it given that it involves a quite bulky load of silks ending up looking quite creased at the end of the effect. Consequently, I've tended to use this trick at the start or opening of the programme in order to overcome this problem. It would be good to be able to do at any time during the show, in any conditions using an angle free prop.

Can anyone out there in the Café suggest a simple, cheap prop that I can build which will enable me to perform this lovely, little effect to its best advantage.

As always, my thanks to you all.

Lester
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Is the Harry Stanley method the standard method?

Thanks,
Richard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Pm me and tell what you have doing as the method and maybe I can advise you how to handle this better.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Lester:

I'm not familiar with the Harry Stanley method, but the typical method from Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic will give you the result you're looking for. The silk which appears between the other two is never folded up in a small bundle, making creases, etc.

I've been doing the 20th Century Silks for years, and have always done it in the middle of the program - the silk looks just fine.

Ron
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Don't get "proppy" with a silk trick. Sure, you can make a wooden stand to do the trick, but the beauty of it is that you can also do it with 4 ungimmicked silks and that's to be preferred over a prop trick any day.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
The version I started out with thirty years ago doesn't fold or crush the silks except when you stuff them into a glass, spectator's hands or a dye box. The final display always looked good.

Not sure what method you are using, but several involve rolling the silk(s), leaving no wrinkles.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree with the guys about crushing the silks. If you use pure silk, there is no problem.

I just am not familar with the Harry Stanely method but have used the prepared and unprepared methods with no problems.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Everyone,

Thanks guys for your replies. I shall look around for alternative methods which do not involve rolling the silks!

As always, all good magical wishes. Thanks for your help.