The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: To oil, or not to oil. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been using my metal appearing cane every night for 2 weeks in a theatre production and it works GREAT. I realized that I have never oiled the thing the way I used to do with my vanishing cane. It still works great and is in perfect condition after 2 years.

Seeing as it hasn't proven to be a problem yet, I see no reason to oil it. Is this going to prove to be a problem later or should it continue to be fine?

Thanks,

Chris.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I haven't had one of those in years (but it brings back happy memories)

I think the bottom line is as you have already worked out:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Should it start to grate, grind, catch, start to rust or any other problems, then a light oiling won't hurt it at all.

I think the main thing is to keep it clean and not drop it all over the stage as I did in my youth. That's when you start getting grit in it etc.

So basically, I would just go with keeping it clean and grit free, but oiling it shouldn't hurt it.

The catch 22 of that is that if you keep it well oiled, then dirt and grit sticks to it much more!

Keep it the way it is: Working!

Chris.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
A friend of mine once asked a woodworking instructor, "How do I stop my tools from rusting?"
The instructor quipped, "Use them!"

Regular handling will help to prevent rusting. When storing canes, store them with a lightly oiled rag.
POOF!
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Chris,

Kregg has the right idea. However occasionally wiping the cane with the oiled rag won't hurt and just keeps it 100% reliable. Same hold true with vanishing metal canes. BTW, use sewing machine oil.

All the best,

John
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I prefer to use a light gun oil. The old Walsh canes occassionally had to be reblued using gun blueing.

Most of the problems with the cane metal has been solved with the Japanese canes.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I have never had any problems with my two metal canes (German made) but I have still oiled them just in case especially if I don't use them for a while. I have used sewing machine oil, which is odorless and it doesn't stain. I have noticed that my canes extend a bit faster when oiled.

If they work fine maybe oiling isn't neccessary, but then again it doesn't hurt either.
Sent from my Typewriter
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Chris,
Years ago I had a metal appearing cane that I didn't oil. It ended up ruined when I took it out of the act for a while. I wanted to put the cane back in the act and purchased another one. This time I made sure to oil it (sewing machine oil) and to store it wrapped in an oiled rag. The cane was removed from my act again several years ago, but it is still in good working condition.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Thanks guys. I think I'll just keep it oiled just to be safe.

-Chris.