The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Sword Box Illusion vs Thayer Protean Cabinet Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
the conjurer
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of the conjurer
Hi-

I wish to build an illusion to add to my stage show. After a lot of research, I have decided on "The Sword Box Illusion". I found plans from Osbourne which I "think" are based on an Owens' design. Might be wrong about that. The plans are "okay" though I feel some areas of construction are not covered clearly.

I have also recently studied the Thayer "Protean Cabinet" and think that it might be a suitable alternative (and one that will be lighter and easier to build since it does not require the b**e. Just the standard 45 degree masking.

Presented the same way, I feel they are identical illusions with "The Protean Cabinet" having a slight edge, as the assistant does not have to "get into" the b**e style hiding space. But, I am wondering if "The Sword Box Illusion" APPEARS smaller as it is a "box on a table" design.

I have built several "smaller props" and have a good set of woodworking skills and feel I am ready to tackle a larger project.

My questions--

Has anyone built and/or performed either or both of these illusions?

Might the builder(s) of these illusions have any building tips and/or suggestions?

Might the builder(s) of these illusions have a preference of glass vs plexi for the required masking material. Weight and less chance of breaking comes to mind. Anything else?

I would appreciate all suggestions or assistance in this "planning" stage.

Thank you

The Conjurer