The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Chemical creates mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Years ago I saw something on TV but I can't remember what they used to make this. It was a science show. I think it was called something like "Fun Science." Anyway, they poured two clear chemicals into a round glass container. Covered it then slowly mixed it by rocking the container. Suddenly the inside of the glass turned into a mirror finish. It ended up looking like a large Christmas ornament.

Does anyone happen to know what chemicals are used or where I might find information on this? I tried to search the web but I really didn't know what to search for.

Thanks.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
We aren't supposed to post this sort of thing directly here, but you can use a Google search for "Tollen's test" to answer your question.

Yours,

Paul
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's not an instantaneous reaction- it takes a couple of minutes to form the mirror-like finish and when you are done, you still have to clean up noxious and dangerous chemicals. A safer method would be to use the paddle move on a small hand mirror. It just so happens I have a double-sided hand mirror in my catalog...not that I'd dream of plugging my shop. As a penalty, I should tell you to check the Dollar stores first if you are interested in pursuing this more conventional approach to the same effect.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18108 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Instead of a rounded beaker could this be done in a flattened container shaped like a flask,,,,,looking like a mirror of sorts?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks for the replies everyone and that is what I was looking for. I don't think I'll be able to use it for what I intended though because as already mentioned it's kind of dangerous. I'll just have to find another way to create the illusion I have in mind.

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.