The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Realistic, believable flesh colored paint (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I get so disgusted with what the dealers as well as craft stores call "flesh colored paint" In trying to get a halfway decent match to my skin tone, or even trying to find a paint that looks real and passable rather than, well, ...just plain old paint, I have in all these years struck out.

I am desperate to find a source of believable flesh colored paint that looks lifelike. Does ANYBODY know where I can obtain this particular item? hell, does it even exist on this planet? If so, I would be totally indebted to you.

Thanks,

Doug
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Suggestion:
Use enamels or acrylics , based on what the article is made out of.
Mix pigments (cream; tan; taupe; brown shades; etc.), until you achieve whatever your skin tone is. Basecoat the article. Paint the article with the pigment blend. When the paint dries, spray the article with a matte finish like Testor's Dullcoat.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Go to a paint store that has a "color match" system. If they can scan fabric, they can match skin tones.
POOF!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I agree w/ Doc on the procedure.

It will likely take a few mixing attempts in order to get the color right.
Paint different swatches on similar material and number them.
Record the formulas. Example: Formula #1 - 1 tsp. Sienna, 1/2 tsp. Yell. Ochre etc, and include the brand names.
Let them dry thoroughly.
When you get the right one you're it's recorded.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not sure what you are trying to (or wanting to) paint, but a technique I use, quite successfully is to layer colors in a series that includes, base coating, spattering, fine misting, and top coating. These are applied in fragmented layers that allow previous layers to remain partially visible. The final coating with Testors Dull Coat, as mentioned above is essential.

Human skin is not one color. One good way to see this for yourself is to scan your hand into your computer and then enlarge the image beyond reasonable pixelating. You'll see the myriad of colors quite clearly.

Actors and make-up artists use a technique known as "stippling". This is very close to what will be done, except with with several colors for layers, instead of texture, although texturing would also add greatly.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Try game shops. I believe the most used brand for painting miniature figures is Citadel. They should have a decent flesh tone.

Sammy the Kid
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do those game figures have a prety realistic tone?
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
One technique I have used to try to match skin tone as I mix the paint, is to take a bit of the paint and rub it on the back of my hand (think makeup). When it is right on my skin I usually have a much better idea of where the color needs to go.

Nick Fox

PS: I have mixed colors (for artwork) for 2+ hours only to toss it and start over, don't be afraid of the time it might take to reach your desired color.
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm assuming that after you get the right tone, it could still be wrong because it may lighten or darken after it dries?
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Go to a hobby shop where they sell model airplanes and tanks. They have an assortment of paints and you can get several flesh colored paints there.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
The bottom line here, in case you are wondering, is that I am DESPERATE to own a thumbtip that passes for real human flesh, and doesn't look like some funky, dumb plastic painted thimble. I've got TONS of tips, but they all have one thing in common. They look fake as hell. Yeah, I know, I've heard it before..."If you use it correctly you should be able to paint it bright red....yada, yada, yada. But who cares? I just prefer to own a REAL looking one, and it drives me crazy that I can't find one. If I could, then I wouldn't have to mess with trying to mix paints and all that, because, frankly, I have better ways to spend my time.

Man if we can send a man to the moon.....

ARRRRRGGGH!!!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
From my experience: Acrylic paints don't change very much through the drying process.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ok. That clears up one posible area.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Think about it your not going to walk in to a shop and purchase YOUR skin tone
you will have to mix it. Unfortunatly mixing color is an art form and not everyone can do it myself included. Take a look at this and you will see it can be done
http://www.nimbacreations.com/toms/default.htm
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I had this problem a long time ago when I was trying to make a d** tube. Nothing worked, until I noticed my Mom applying powder makeup.

If I'd been a cartoon character, a huge light bulb would have lit over my head.

I used a reasonably-colored mix of flesh paint, and then, while it was still damp, sprinkled a bit of face powder on it. It wasn't excatly 100% my skin tone, but it was a heckuva lot closer than I could get the paint -- and it was flat.

Nowadays, I'd just go to a cosmetics counter and ask a clerk for a powder that matches my hand color. What the heck, if she asked, I'd just say I'm in showbiz...
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 12:53, bloodyjack wrote:
Think about it your not going to walk in to a shop and purchase YOUR skin tone
you will have to mix it. Unfortunatly mixing color is an art form and not everyone can do it myself included. Take a look at this and you will see it can be done
http://www.nimbacreations.com/toms/default.htm

One word he uses there that I really connect with is "unparalelled confidence" man, that is EXACTLY what I am after!

The BAD part is that to get one you have to visit the UK. With my budget and family and job ties and responsibilities here in the US, that is entirely never going to occur for me. And yet, DANG! I want one so BAD I can taste it.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Nimba's tips are really nice. Michael Baker is absolutely right about the painting process. Human skin isn't just one flat color, skin itself is translucent with the colors being in the layers underneath and replicating that gives nice results. What could help in the process is using a thin coat of clear lacquer between the layers to add some depth to the color. But remember that skin color consists of many colors, including red and using them (sparingly though) in the mix helps greatly. Best results are achieved with an airbrush.
Sent from my Typewriter
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-05-24 07:46, mvmagic wrote:
Human skin isn't just one flat color, skin itself is translucent with the colors being in the layers underneath and replicating that gives nice results. What could help in the process is using a thin coat of clear lacquer between the layers to add some depth to the color.

That's a good idea, but there are several clear mediums available. Lacquer may not be compatible with other layers. Definitely worth experimenting with, though.

Quote:
But remember that skin color consists of many colors, including red and using them (sparingly though) in the mix helps greatly. Best results are achieved with an airbrush.

Reds are definitely one of the colors, as are other "warm" colors, like yellow, but you'd be surprised what the careful addition of "cool" colors, like blue can accomplish.

Airbrushing is good and even better if you have a good one that can produce a range of spray patterns. You really need more than a fine mist, or things look too much like computer animation. Spattering is a technique I learned for scenery design that can also work on this miniscule scale if done properly.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Ah yes, I didn't mean lacquer literally. The word in Finnish just means all possible clear coats of any medium so my mistake Smile

Aztek airbrushes have special nozzles for splattering. Also very easy to clean. They look a bit flimsy at first but perform really well, light to handle as well. Worth checking.
Sent from my Typewriter
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-05-24 10:16, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-05-24 07:46, mvmagic wrote:
Human skin isn't just one flat color, skin itself is translucent with the colors being in the layers underneath and replicating that gives nice results. What could help in the process is using a thin coat of clear lacquer between the layers to add some depth to the color.

That's a good idea, but there are several clear mediums available. Lacquer may not be compatible with other layers. Definitely worth experimenting with, though.

Quote:
But remember that skin color consists of many colors, including red and using them (sparingly though) in the mix helps greatly. Best results are achieved with an airbrush.

Reds are definitely one of the colors, as are other "warm" colors, like yellow, but you'd be surprised what the careful addition of "cool" colors, like blue can accomplish.

Airbrushing is good and even better if you have a good one that can produce a range of spray patterns. You really need more than a fine mist, or things look too much like computer animation. Spattering is a technique I learned for scenery design that can also work on this miniscule scale if done properly.

~michael

I don't have the luxury of an airbrush, and if I did, would probably not know how to use the durn thing.