The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Looking for tips on a roller shade release (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
Hi,
Don't build a whole lot of illusions, but I'm working on a flash appearance right now that is coming together great. But I need some tips on how to release the roller shade via some sort of foot trigger. I'm not very good with electronics, etc. but I thought those of you with more expertise might be able to help.

Thanks
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
A really simple solution is to just put a foot on the shade to hold it down. You could also make a simple catch-type trigger to release the shade. Make a pivoting hook that holds the shade down, then just kick the hook to pivot it away from the shade to bring it up. I saw somewhere recently a flash appearance that had a coordinated flashpot and shade release. It looked cool, but personally I try to stay away from electronics that could fail without warning.

Thanks,
Richard
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Try a clothespin on a board set up- the spring style clothespins.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2005-05-03 18:48, kaytracy wrote:
Try a clothespin on a board set up- the spring style clothespins.

I wish I had thought of that. Simple - inexpensive - effective. Good thinking! Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you are using a flashpot, have a piece of carpet thread tied to the bottom of the roller curtain. Run the thread through a small screw eye either at the base or in the floor. Run it outward so it lies through the flashpot, and then anchors to the floor. (This all assumes you are working on a typical wooden floor stage) When the flashpot goes off, the thread burns at the same time. Simple solution and perfect timing every time. I used the idea for years!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Don't always assume the shade has to go UP. It can easily go DOWN (with the aid of gravity - no roller needed) or SIDEWAYS where it can be easily hand held. When approaching a problem, it helps to be a lateral thinker.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Many of my designs had the roller going down. Much faster and with some it only went half way up, with the person appearing crouching down behind. They stand up at the flash. Smoke going up as roller goes down is very deceptive and fast.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company