The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Remote for Talking Mask (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I would like to modify my Talking Mask by adding a small servo and small transmitter to it. My talking mask is a ventriloquist half mask that is worn by a volunteer on his face where only his eyes can be seen. There is a string connected to its chin to be able to open and close the mouth manually. A remote would greatly improve to this illusion.
Any animatronic experts out there?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
If you want animatronics, Here is the guy that can do ANYTHING and he knows what he is doing.
http://www.leskini.com/
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Lou,

I also perform the vent mask and would be interested in remotely controlling it. If you find someone who can do this, please let me know the details by PM or E-mail.

Lyndel
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
It shouldn't be difficult to find a simple one channel remote control and transmitter. Here in the UK, I,ve built a few things using a "Velleman" K6707 receiver and K6706g transmitter. - (Both come in kit form and you have to build them yourself.)

The transmitter is very good - compact keychain sort of thing with built in battery holder - unfortunately the receiver board may be a little large to build into your mask - it's about 3" x 3 1/4" and doesn't come with a box or housing, and then it needs a battery (9v?).

I'd forget the idea of using a servo motor - they are too difficult to control, noisy and probably a little too slow for your application - I'd suggest a simple solenoid would probably do the job better - depending on the amount of effort required to operate your "moving bit"!

Regards
John
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Im just wondering what Steve Axtell has on his Magic Drawing Board. This would probably fit in my Talking Mask. For the moment, I am experimenting with a child bicycle cable brake for a manual operation thru the back of the volunteer. I just need to change the spring for this.
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Quote:
On 2005-03-20 10:17, Lou Hilario wrote:
I would like to modify my Talking Mask by adding a small servo and small transmitter to it. My talking mask is a ventriloquist half mask that is worn by a volunteer on his face where only his eyes can be seen. There is a string connected to its chin to be able to open and close the mouth manually. A remote would greatly improve to this illusion.
Any animatronic experts out there?

I'm not fimiliar with the talking mask. Is there a website I can check this out on?
Sounds fun.

Thanks!
Sonny
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I think he makes them himself. I was just at Spencer Gifts in the local mall. They have a full size mounted deer head that mounts on the wall. It talks/sings and moves. The thing is also able to "talk" via a wireless microphone. Pretty funny stuff can be achieved from this thing. It costs $150.00 USD and you can see it at Spencers web site

The head moves, the ears move, the mouth moves.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1541 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Where do you get the vent half mask?

Steve
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I make them myself. It is very light and has realistic teeth. PM me if you are interested.
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
I've made a few remote control items by simply harvesting the electronics from a cheap toy car from wal-mart. You can cross wires until you find the ones you need usually without burning anything out Smile

Look for one with a tiny remote and so you won't have to modify that part.

Just a thought!

Dr Magic

:banana: Smile
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
There are a few ways to go here, some can be very expensive and some can be very cheap and yet still get the job done. I would have to agree with Dr. Magic. Get a small r/c car, you do not even need a servo or selenoid as the car comes with a tiny motor. You would be surprised what you can do with this, ranging from making a talking skull's mouth "clack" to moving objects, etc. I see no reason why this would not work for your mask. When the transmitter is 'pulsed' arrange the motor which is attached to a strong thread to do the 'pulling', then use gravity to simply re-set the motor to original position for your next movement. A little tip, r/c cars operate off channel 27 and 49 mghz which is common and somewhat subject to interferrance for prolonged useage. Be sure the batteries are new and have an on/off switch to turn unit 'on' only when using, this will greatly eliminate premature interferrance, etc. This is the cheapest way to go and surprisingly very effective, I have built and still use many such applications today with much success. If you are looking to bridge very long distances with more accuracy I would look into a single channel car remote, you can wire everything on the receiver through the attached relay.

I hope this helps,

Chuck Caputo
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you put a spring return on the jaw, use the servo to pull it open and then release it will work. Abbott's did their old talking skull this way for years but it used a magnetic pulldown.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
This thread is presenting solutions to a none existent problem. "It don't need fixin fellas"

Type in Dean Atkinson masks into Google.

Dean Atkinson
http://www.deanatkinson.com/
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Dean,
That is a very funny routine!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree. It is not only funny but very entertaining. You can see the audience really enjoyed themselves. Great act. I really like it.