The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Non-permanent glue in the UK (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
I know this probably isn't the place to post this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else.

Anyway, where can I find some non-permanent glue in the UK, can someone please describe a product they know of or a product they use, where I say non -permanent I want it to stick playing cards on a temporary basis in the course of an effect and then be able to easily seperate the two cards again.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
There are two glue sticks (produced by the same company) that you should be on the lookout for. There's a small-ish stick called 2 Way Glue (with a blue container) or a bigger, white pot, called Zig Changin' Glue.

If you're going to the Blackpool convention, there's an art store behind the Ruskin hotel that sells these. That's where I got mine from.

--Andi
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Daren

Before this thread gets 'binned' to elsewhere and 'lost' within the multitude of pages I hope you get the chance to read this.

I have three types of glue for cards. Good old "Prit Stick" (not brilliant); Bostik's "Fast-Tak repositionable" in a spray can (a bit too messy in my view.)

Finally 3M's FANTASTIC "Spray Mount repositionable adhesive" is available from Rymans and WH Smith's. It aint cheap but it's darn good and comes in two sizes. This IS the stuff you want - I use it for "Dark Card" and it never lets me down! After first application it would be advisable to repeatedly stick and unstick the cards you are using - just to loosen them up a bit. The downside - repeated sticking and unsticking of the cards will eventually wear the adhesion out and you will have to remake that gimmick in time.

If you are aware of Jon Allen's "Double Back" - I use it for that too - it is better than the double-sided tape method that comes with the effect. Just my opinion.

RK
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
The 3M spray mount can also be found @ maplins at a good price. About the same cost as a zig pen
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
If "Zig Changin' Glue" is the same as the "Magic Changin' Glue" used by Anthony Owen, then that would be the way to go. I thought that I got some of the "Magic Changin' Glue" from MagicTricks.co.uk, but I see now that it is available from TVMagic.co.uk .
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
I have to wholeheartedly agree with cardiac arrest that the very best stuff you can use is 3M's spray mount. I use it for dark card, 3 card monte and many other tricks that needs an "adhesion method. Buy some now.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16558 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think Cow Gum peels off. Put a spot on a card and spread it thin with a razor sign it and you can peel off the signature. I am not sure if it is cow gum, it as been a long time since I was a forger,
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mystic Magic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Mystic Magic
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 00:36, ziatro wrote:
I have to wholeheartedly agree with cardiac arrest that the very best stuff you can use is 3M's spray mount. I use it for dark card, 3 card monte and many other tricks that needs an "adhesion method. Buy some now.

Why would you need glue for three card monte? Just curious.
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro

The version I use has two tens and a Queen. It ends with the spectator getting two free choices of cards, and both his selections are tens. I tell him never to take on a monte dealer as he will never win, then I turn over the last card to reveal another ten.
Captain Haddock
View Profile
New user
The Far Side Of the Moon
22 Posts

Profile of Captain Haddock
Scotch-up by 3M is the stuff you need. It is basically a stick of Post-It glue. You can get it from the London Graphic Centre.
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
What about silicon? It peels off a treat, and leaves no grease stain etc
minster
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of minster
Yep, Capt Haddock - you've got it, and I have some in front of me. It's called Scotch Restickable Glue Stick, made by 3M, product no 36314 and IIRC I bought it in Paperchase. It's great!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Mystic Magic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Mystic Magic
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 10:41, ziatro wrote:

The version I use has two tens and a Queen. It ends with the spectator getting two free choices of cards, and both his selections are tens. I tell him never to take on a monte dealer as he will never win, then I turn over the last card to reveal another ten.

I guess I'm a curious soul. lol I do many different kinds of Monte's. None of which can be construed as the same trick. I take it the 3CM you speak of is not a classic monte with a mix and t***? If not I was wondering which version you do you?

Thanks,

Mystic Magic
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 02:04, Mystic Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 10:41, ziatro wrote:

I guess I'm a curious soul. lol I do many different kinds of Monte's. None of which can be construed as the same trick. I take it the 3CM you speak of is not a classic monte with a mix and t***? If not I was wondering which version you do you?

Thanks,

Mystic Magic

It's called Secrets Monte because it was performed by Marc Paul on Paul Daniels "Secrets" show. It's a pretty standard monte routine with a kicker ending. I have it on a Marc Paul lecture video. If you would like to know more then feel free to P.M. me.
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
I didn't look to see if it was already mentioned. Its called Removable Glue stick. 3M makes it. It comes in a blue tube, and when you smell it, well, it smells funny! I noticed this product while walking around Staples. It may be a great alternative to the adhesive spray glue, or d/s removable tape, etc. So check it out. I havent played with it much yet... the instructions say to apply the glue stick to the surface (recommended for paper and cardboard) and to let it dry for 10 minutes. Then the glue should be at the right consistency for a removable type stick... let me know if you try it out guys! -Jesse
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Removable glue is no good.It is restickable ie repositionable for a certain length of time then becomes a permanent bond.I know I have a box of 12 going back to amazon uk as they sold me this stuff instead of the scotch up as advertised.