The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Instructions for creating your own elastic thread loops (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
For those who know their knots (i.e. the climbers and riggers amongst us) and have trouble deciphering pictures and remembering. Smile

It's the two ends tied in a tape knot locked down with a single overhand knot. Then snip, snip. (That's technical speak for cut the *** fiddly stuff!)

Thanks for the info, I had wondered why my bowlines and clove hitches were not working...
phillys
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of phillys
Thanks for the method on tying. They sure are handy!
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
I al so glad people are getting some good uses out of LOOPS. If you want to taqke it further please try and attend my lOOPS workshop. I will be giving another one in June at The Twin City Magic Convnetion In Tennesse. Also, Myself, Garcia, and Kranzo have a LOOPS dvd coming ot with E-llusionist.com in may (I just saw the art work). And for you elastic lovers I have a new hook-up coming out in June called The Cloak you can see a pic on my site http://www.closeupjm.com

All things LOOPY,
Justin N. iller
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Justin -

I myself can't wait for the Loobs DVD to come out. At a lecture by Nathen Kranzo, he touched on a few points with loops, and said everything you ever wanted to know about loops will be on that dvd. I look forward to it.

Brian Rodgers
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
I just wanted to say thanks for posting this tutorial. I can tie my loops in no time now! Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
GuySavoie, Thank you for the tutorial - for the DIYers.

I would like to add: Once the IET has been knotted apply a little superglue on the knotted portion and then (after 10 seconds or so) cut off the extra ends of the IET. This will help bond the knot properly.

Use pointed end of a wooden toothpick to apply superglue.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
I actually want to thank Eiric for being the first person on this thread to even mention Finn Jon.
And as nice as Guy's method is, you should really invest in Finn Jon's "The Million Dollar Knot".

And to the person who said Losander's loops have no knot:
yes they do.
A good one, trimmed to perfection.
Attend a lecture and he'll prove it, lol. Smile
blackartman
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of blackartman
Thanks man!! works quite well.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Thanks for this terrific Topic. I realy enjoyed all the posts. I did noticed... and say this only in passing, that some of the Finest IET of its kind was left out...Silk Worm
Xemm
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Xemm
Thanks Guy, your post really help me out here.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Guy's instructions are very helpful to my developing loop work, and I thought a tweak of my own might be useful in turn.

I use a tying "jig" which is just a short length of 2" ABS plastic pipe from Lowe's (about 2 bucks); the end is deburred with fine sandpaper to prevent snagging. I run a strip of double-sided tape on top of the pipe, 3 inches from the end. The pipe is then jammed into an open drawer, tape end jutting toward me. IT is wrapped around the pipe, stuck on the tape (which holds the IT as I wrap tape on the free ends), and then I tie the knot Guy describes. The double stick tape acts like a "third hand" and both speeds the process and keeps it from tangling.
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
This is still an excellent thread. Should lower my cost of procuring loops.

Best,
G.
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
This is GREAT INFO!

Can someone post some cheap places to get the elastic thread. Where can I get it already seperated?

John
Evilstalkerhorne
View Profile
New user
USA Waterloo Iowa
70 Posts

Profile of Evilstalkerhorne
Are the Mesika loops really that much better than any other brand? I have made mine and also bought on Ebay when I was lazy. The Mesika loops are way expensive. Just want to know why and if they are really worth it.

I also would like to ad that I double up my thread when I make my own loops. This makes them stronger but when one string snaps you have to trim it to not get caught since it will tangle and bulk up.

Another thing that I do is use Sharpie permanent markers on the clear type of threading. This allows me to blend more than just a black string. ie. I have found that blue is a lot less noticible on fair skinned people and also in the daylight or against a blue or lighter colored shirt (NOT WHITE)
Try this and you will like it!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Is the knot visible?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 22:54, Ustaad wrote:
GuySavoie, Thank you for the tutorial - for the DIYers.

I would like to add: Once the IET has been knotted apply a little superglue on the knotted portion and then (after 10 seconds or so) cut off the extra ends of the IET. This will help bond the knot properly.

Use pointed end of a wooden toothpick to apply superglue.

Smile

Thanks bro. Does the superglue leave a bigger size visible knot Ustaad?
magicmonk
View Profile
New user
Donald Monk
23 Posts

Profile of magicmonk
A question for Guy . . . In an earlier post you mentioned some Pantone pens that you use to assist in the threads invisibillity,- namely No's 2726 / 4525 / 470 Tria markers.
It seems that these are now no longer made (I think it was a Lettraset Product who are now defunct), or at least not available here in the UK.
Could you enlighten me as to what the actual colours were and if you, or anyone else can point me in the right direction ?

Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that such a long 'thread' is about 'elastic thread' ?!

Donald
Have a Chuckle,- and get a Free Magic Tutorial at http://www.MagicMonkSolutions.com
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Guy,

In your original post you said “Tip: Buy the 1,000 foot spool of Kundalini type elastic and use it as your source for elastic for the rest of your life for only $10!”. Can you please tell me your source for this product?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
Angel_7
View Profile
New user
Australia
66 Posts

Profile of Angel_7
Just wanted to add my thanks!

-Anthony
illusion is a choice
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever", and I believe Guy has created a thing of beauty with this thread.

Thank you for starting me in the right loop direction.

MuleePete