The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Pricing Work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Understanding how this prop works, it becomes clear there are a few limitations on what types of hardware can be used. Attaching to the frame presents little problem, but attaching to the door(s) is different, as there is very little to grab. In jumbo size, that problem diminishes.

Although the same few types of off-the-rack small box hinges are commonly seen on magic apparatus, the reason is simply that there is not a huge selection out there.

Big Box stores like Lowes and Home Depot are continuingly downsizing their selections, and continuing as well to change suppliers in a never ending quest to save money. A couple years ago, they carried Brainerd Brass products, which were outstanding. I do not even know if that company is still in busines anymore. Pity if they are gone.

Most current stock comes from a couple other companies, which have varying degrees of quality. In general, the hardware seems lighter weight, and I have noticed hinges that are very loose in action, with others exactly the same that stick quite a bit.

Ace Hardware carries their own brand, and I've notcied some of the same problems, although they are generally ok.

Online stores like Rockler and Woodcraft are quickly becoming the go-to guys for this stuff because of diminishing stock locally. Unfortunately you'll often pay more this way.

For certain applications, Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry small brass hardware, but not everything they carry is worth using.

Regarding the use of continuous hinges, I am geberally a fan of using them when they are on the unseen back side of a box, or inset, so only the barrel shows, but to each his own.

I have used pairs of other hinges on projects similar in structure to Tim's card boxes, buy even they did not look completely satisfactory to me. Sometimes, even the best you can find look clunky and out of place.

The idea for hidden pivot pins is good, and I have used them on several things, but for something like Tim's card boxes, I think it may require very deep (and accurately straight) holes being drilled in from the sides through the frame (at least on one side. Unless a spring-loaded pin could be used (like a watch band) I don't see how else to do that.

Never tried a wood hinge. Biggest advantage there might be the fact that they can be glued, with no screws needed.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Gentlemen, Thank you for your comments and insights. The hinges I used are from Lee Valley. I couldn't find anything I thought appropriate at Woodcraft or Rockler. I will check out Micro Mark

One reason I chose to go with a mini-piano hinge is the inlay on the doors. Having two hinges just looked strange. The other reason I chose this hinge is durability. The frame is held up and shown to the audience by one of the doors during the routine. I wanted to be sure the door would not come loose with repeated use.

Michael, you are right about hardware limitations on these. I found the #2 x 1/4" screws to be just a little too long. I had to grind the tips off to make them work.

I like the idea of a wooden hinge and will look into it. However, door swing is very critical on these pieces to make them work properly. If the door doesn't open fully enough, the card will not load.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 15:27, Michael Baker wrote:...Never tried a wood hinge. Biggest advantage there might be the fact that they can be glued, with no screws needed.

Bingo!! Medium Zap.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, I understand that sometimes a pair of hinges just doesn't look right and you have to make a choice. If it looks right to you, it generally will to others.

Very often, I find myself having to nip off the ends of screws to keep from breaching the backside of the panel. In most cases, I find it best to drill the pilot hole, then thread in a regular screw to get the advantage of the pointed tip. I only thread it part way in, so it doesn't pop out the back. This cuts the inside threads. Then I back out the screw and finish by screwing in the shortened one. In some cases, I find it good to squeeze a drop of gel CA into the pilot hole before setting the finish screw. This adds a bit of strength to the grip, especially important when you don't have a lot of thickness to work with.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
El-Tab gets his hardware from Lee Valley Hardware. LV has about the best hardware selection that Ive found and they ship fast. They sell the good stuff and a huger assortment. Rockler and that other one that I will never order from again (Constantines) are minor league compared to Lee Valley. Buy their hardware catalog for the price of postage.

Theres a gizmo that looks like a Stanley screwdriver (its probably Stanley) that has a tapered threaded tip. You can run it quickly into a pilot hole and get a few threads in there for grip and run your screw in. It doesn't work for everything but on thicker material it can save some time.

Oh, get Lee Valley's tool catalog too. Being a river rat it was an eye-opener for me.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Lee valley is great and they do ship fast. I love their tools too, but they can get expensive although good tools are expensive. I also keep copies of Rockler, Woodcraft, Van Dykes, Highland Woodworking and McMaster Carr as well as a few other catalogs around.

I don't know about Alabama & Tennessee but real hardware stores have all but disappeared here in So. Cal. I just read an article this morning about another one in the San Fernando Valley closing after 60 years. Very sad!

Michael, I must have been channeling your thoughts when I built the card frames. That is exactly the process I used to install the hinges.

El Tab, is that like the old "Yankee" style screwdriver, or do you not refer to them that way in the South? Is it full size or a smaller version for making small holes?

Tim
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 18:13, tabman wrote:

Theres a gizmo that looks like a Stanley screwdriver (its probably Stanley) that has a tapered threaded tip. You can run it quickly into a pilot hole and get a few threads in there for grip and run your screw in. It doesn't work for everything but on thicker material it can save some time.

I've seen these before but don't know what they are called. I tried a search for one, but can't find the right combination of keywords.

My fear is that for tiny holes on thin stock, it might be easy to wrench the tool sideways and destroy the hole, especially on easily splintered or brittle wood.

I would like to try one though. It would seem to be much faster, or at least more comfortable than what I'm doing now.

Do they come in different sizes?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I this the tool you are talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......66554306

Nick
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Grind off the tip of an ice pick so it has a small flat end the same diameter as the head of the screws to be used. Silver solder a steel screw to the flat end of the ice pick. You can make these in any size desired.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 23:51, remote guy wrote:

Nick

Thanks Nick, that is exactly it. Very handy in my shop. "Screw Hole Starter." I wonder how they came up with that name? Smile

My friend down the road used to run a hdwr store close by. The store was in biz since his dad had it. Lowes came in and now the store is closed and he works for Lowes wearing a little red vest.

I have a "Yankee Screw Driver" in my shop and we call em that down south. Its that hand powered push drill thing that you can never keep perfectly still and straight but looks cool on the pegboard.

Thanks.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 00:43, tabman wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 23:51, remote guy wrote:

Nick

Thanks Nick, that is exactly it. Very handy in my shop. "Screw Hole Starter." I wonder how they came up with that name? Smile

My friend down the road used to run a hdwr store close by. The store was in biz since his dad had it. Lowes came in and now the store is closed and he works for Lowes wearing a little red vest.

I have a "Yankee Screw Driver" in my shop and we call em that down south. Its that hand powered push drill thing that you can never keep perfectly still and straight but looks cool on the pegboard.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

I worked in a little Mom and Pop hardware store from age 15-21. I learned so much in those 6 years. It really is a shame that so many of these neighborhood stores are closing because they can't compete with Home Depot and Lowes.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 01:02, Michael Baker wrote:
Another version... the Gimlet

http://toolmonger.com/2007/12/21/bartender-get-me-a-gimlet/

That's unusual Michael.I use mostly traditional methods and tools and have a gimlet,used for starting off screws,though I've never seen one that is twinned with an auger,which is for boring holes.
A good idea,thanks for the link!
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 01:02, Michael Baker wrote:
Another version... the Gimlet

http://toolmonger.com/2007/12/21/bartender-get-me-a-gimlet/

Thanks...a "gimlet." I bet the cocktail was named after this thing.

Lee Valley has all the cool stuff!! I don't know about you, but I love tools... anything to make the job turn out better, go faster, easier and more fun.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 12:35, tabman wrote:
I don't know about you, but I love tools... anything to make the job turn out better, go faster, easier and more fun.

I think this is exactly why we are all gathered here in the workshop. We have an appreciation for the mechanical side of magic (but not necessarily to the exclusion of other things that also make it work).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
A simple method of establishing a retail selling price is to set yourself at a daily work rate that's fair.let's say,$100.if it takes you 4 days to make the prop,it sells for $400.this doesen't include materials and extras.the daily work rate is governed by the quality of the craftsmanship.set the rate and don't budge.many magicians are tighter that two coats of paint.investing back into the show went out w/blackstone,sr..they'll fork out for a $35 card trick dvd but won't replace dirty ropes or stained handkerchiefs.go figger...