The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Instructions for creating your own elastic thread loops (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jerry the Great
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Jerry the Great
It's so nice to have someone share a clever method without wanting to paid an arm and a leg for it. I applaud your effort.
Thanks!
"What's wrong with you people? Haven't you ever seen a fool before?"

Jerry the Great
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
An easy method (that I use) for the first knot is to (excuse my English) thread the two ends of the IT-loop into a needle. (for doing this, you need to thread a buckle of knitting thread in the needle, then thread your IT into the buckle and make it go trhough the eye of the needle. Hope it's clear)
Then, holding the loop in your left hand, turn around your left first finger with the needle (and the two IT ends), and then pass the needle between the thread and your finger. Remove the finger, and you have your loop with a knot tying it (first knot of the first post of this topic.)
Quite difficult when not native-speaker...
Jonathan.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Threading it through the knot (in figure 2) one more time is easier and faster than trying to tie the ends together.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
I've tried the method explained in the first post in this topic and, as with my traditional method I find it so frustrating when you break it at the last second, or when you shorten the ends....grr.

but who cares, It's for fun isn't it!!!

thanks for sharing!
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Wow -

I'm stunned this topic continues to stay active. Thanks again for all the kind words.

Just a few brief comments, if I may.

pepijn - You might try practicing with regular thread a few dozen times to get the feel for it. It might help a little. I only break 1 out of 10 or so when working on 'em, and it only takes me about 15 seconds to tie one, so it's not too frustrating with a little practice.

KingStarDog - while using a single knot where you go through the hole twice is a good knot, if you are using it for the kundalini style card rise, where the elastic is thicker and under some serious tension, that knot can slip, and you'll lose your loop. A self binding knot is safer.

Enjoy all!

--- Guy

UPDATE: May 7, 2004

I received a used T.I.E.S. system, and I've had a few days to experiment with it.

In my opinion, it is a good approach, especially if you have a hard time working with IT by feel.

It's a straightforward system, and I had played with developing a similar mechanism in the past, although this is clearly more evolved than my experiments.

Since this was a loaner, I will be returning it, and I won't likely buy my own. I don't think it gives me more than the knot I described here. Additionally, I can tie these without looking, while watching TV, etc.

However, do I recommend it? A qualified yes.

If you use loops quite a bit and want to save money in the long run, and you can't get the knack of the approach in this thread, then T.I.E.S. should be a good investment for you.

--- Guy
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On 2003-06-15 11:43, GuySavoie wrote:
...I've experimented with the superglue method, but I found the glued area distracting, and often more visible than a knot ...

As have I! Smile Thanks for this knotting tip (shame it took me over a year to find it!!).
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
joef90
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of joef90
I lost interest in loops after hamfistidley going through my first pack (to expensive).But now I am inspired to try again with this cheap homemade source!If you are still use the Café Guy ,thanks that was a real gem!
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I mentionned (in the secret sessions forum devoted to thread work) a nice elastic thread source. Yhe post is entitled "elastic thread source" (I think.)
Jonathan.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Tied my first loops but with a different method. The method I use is the one Tony Clark teaches on his Behind The Seams video.

Aside from this, I used a styropor, wax and some push pins.

It works!
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
I know this thread is kind of old, but I have an additional tip that some of you might use. After you tie the loop (or loops) put them around a paper cup. Once there, it's much easier to run the tip of a sharpie over it and without painting yourself. Then just put your hand in the opening of the cup and just slide the loop into position and you're ready to perform. BTW, thanks a lot for this amazing thread GUY!!! Now I can practice some routines without it hurting so much when I break one loop... Smile
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
I just attended the SCAM convention in Columbia SC and needless to say it was great. Losander gave a lecture that just blew me away. Watching what he was able to do with loops has really piqued my curiosity. This post will save me a ton of money with all of the loops I am sure to break along the way. Just wanted to say thanks.
wthierry
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wthierry
I purchased the elastic from WIZARDCRAFT, but I can't seem to split it. Can someone give me some tips on how to best split it?
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Wthierry, the thread from Craig is really good quality stuff and extremely reasonably priced.

To split it, hold the end of the thread between your finger and thumb with around 15mm protruding. Then, with your other hand, grab the end of this small protrusion, stretch it out, and let it snap back. Doing this a nuber of times will fray the end for you and from there you can separate the fine individual threads.
Hope this helps.

Tom
wthierry
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wthierry
Got it ! Thanks. Just as an FYI, I also found the same thread I bought from craig at a lure shop here in san francisco. So its out there and available.
magician_hindoo
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
5 Posts

Profile of magician_hindoo
Friends,

Spend some money with Losander and buy the loops sold on his website.

"He is a good guy, spend some money with him" - as per Tony Hassini on the International Magician's Society DVD "Best of the Best".

He is the master of levitation - for his creativity he deserves a bit of our support. Spend a few dollars and buy his DVD and loops asap - if you are interested in levitation effects!!!!

:righton:
AndrewMann
View Profile
New user
UK
7 Posts

Profile of AndrewMann
IT loops certainly are a great invention but can be expensive as they don't last very long. Making your own is probably better but can be fiddly which is why I was pleased to see a device released on the UK market which makes it far easier to make your own. If you check out 'ST.El.Th. Jig' on the hotlist page on Alakazam - http://www.alakazam.co.uk/acatalog/Hot_List_1.html#a1311 - you'll get the idea. I don't have one of these yet - it was only released this weekend - but I hope to get one very soon.

Andy.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1783 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On 2005-01-31 10:23, AndrewMann wrote:
IT loops certainly are a great invention but can be expensive as they don't last very long. Making your own is probably better but can be fiddly which is why I was pleased to see a device released on the UK market which makes it far easier to make your own. If you check out 'ST.El.Th. Jig' on the hotlist page on Alakazam - http://www.alakazam.co.uk/acatalog/Hot_List_1.html#a1311 - you'll get the idea. I don't have one of these yet - it was only released this weekend - but I hope to get one very soon.

Andy.

Anyone have experience with this (or a similar) jig? I'd love to hear about it, if so. Thanks!

David
AndrewMann
View Profile
New user
UK
7 Posts

Profile of AndrewMann
I finally managed to get to grips with ST.El.Th. Jig over the weekend and I can confirm that it's good - very good indeed. My initial fear was that, as a speccy wearer, the IET may be visible to others even if I can't see it and that there would be problems keeping track as the loops were being made. I needn't have worried as I just used a daylight bulb in an anglepoise lamp to illuminate the working area and I could keep track with no problems at all. Obviously doing the same thing outside in broad daylight would be easier and cheaper!

The method of creating the loops is logical and straightforward and you just need to take things a step at a time until you gain confidence - I practiced with white sewing thread to get the hang of it. The jig itself makes the whole process so easy - the pins are exactly the right size and shape, they're in the precise locations to help fumble fingers like me to do the biz and the whole thing has a nice smooth finish ensuring the IET won't snag anywhere. I'm going to 'enhance' mine with some of that nice sticky-back felt and some of those adhesive rubber pads on the bottom so it will stay steady on even the most slippery plastic topped tables etc.

If you use loops, or are considering using them, try this jig first and you'll not only save a fortune, you'll always be able to make a few loops for practice and impromptu performances rather than having to reserve them for only the paying gigs due to the cost of buying ready-made loops.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
JM:

What a useful tip -- thanks!

Leland
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Andrew -

Can the jig be used to make larger size loops, or is it a "one size" jig?

--- Guy