The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Need assistance with wiring diagram (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ray, Believe it or not, I actually played with the roller idea last night to complete the concealment after the change. I was actually testing the concept by laying a piece of black felt over the object to complete the concealment. The illusion seemed to have promise. With corrected lighting it should work rather well. I just wanted to deal with that lighting issue first.

I did not know about the blinds on the Abbott's version. I have photos of it that I saved when someone here sold one several months ago.

MR, Thanks for the tip on the Thayer plans. I have those in the Byron Wels books, and will study them. The Abbott version in the photos I have does look somewhat bulky, but I think I can work to improve that.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Mr. Baker, I know that you build a few items but do not know how extensive your magic library is. If you have a copy of Paul Osborne's Haunted Illusions, go to pages 73 - 75. There you will find "The Hand of the Wolf". This is a small Pepper's Ghost illusionette that utilizes the roller blinds you are considering. At least you will be able to see the arrangement of things. They are not required on Owen's Reincarnation due to careful lighting and design work.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Sounds like fun. Wish B'ham was a little closer.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't have that particular Osborne book, but those kinds of illusions are right up my alley. I've told myself more than once that I should get it, but so far, have not. Too bad it was not one of those Osborne Illusion in the Genii magazine. I have most of those. (If it was published there, it's one I don't have.)

Tabby, Be glad you're not here this week. We've had a ton of rain, and my workshop flooded last night. Not bad, but there is a lot of wet sawdust down there. Ugh...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Osborne also has plans for the Abbott style. Will look around for them. They are in the office here somewhere or at home in the shop.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 10:24, Michael Baker wrote:...Tabby, Be glad you're not here this week. We've had a ton of rain, and my workshop flooded last night. Not bad, but there is a lot of wet sawdust down there. Ugh...

Been there. Better air it out. I'll get over there soon to visit.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 09:53, tabman wrote:

I'll get over there soon to visit.

Sounds good! Just holler and make sure I'll be here.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 18:25, Michael Baker wrote:
Sounds good! Just holler and make sure I'll be here.

Definately. Thanks.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here are a couple photos of this thing. Built over a weekend 90+% from scrap stuff laying around the shop. The venue planned is a Halloween haunted trail built on the site of an old steel mill blast furnace, hence the rusty, retro-industrial slant given the prop.

Everything that shows on top and on the front is just window dressing. The actual controls are on the back.

This is with the original lighting cans, as described in the plans. As we've discussed here, these will be changed.

Photo 1 shows the box with illumination on the "A" compartment (straight ahead).
Photo 2 shows the reflected compartment "B". I purposely emptied compartment "A" for this shot to avoid photographing the problem. What seems to be more subdued lighting in this compartment is actually caused by the camera's flash diluting the reflected image. In reality, the images show up equally as well.

I have been looking for better lighting supplies, and feel it would be best to use either candelabra base, or intermediate (just a bit larger). I can easily find everything I need for the candelabra base sockets and bulbs, but they are small wattage (up to maybe 6w). I can find intermediate base lamps (bulbs) up to 40w 120v, but am having a difficult time finding intermediate sockets. Even my internet searches have come up pretty dry.

I'd still like to finish this, but other, better prop designs have come my way, so I will likely pursue those, too.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
That looks great Michael. Retro spook show. Wonderful!!!

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks. It's a slap job, but it's not supposed to be "pretty". I'd thought about adding a few sparkle powder flash units to it, and we could "accidentally" microwave a cat. If it looks like it was "invented" by a crazy scientist, and that maybe it shouldn't work, it makes more sense when it doesn't (sort of...). For now, I just need it to work. Ha-ha!
~michael baker
The Magic Company