The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tommy Wonder Watch in nest of boxes (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
This is result of two years of my life.
I built it with my own hands piece by piece and it works just like in the L&L dvds.Like a real charm...

Click here to view attached image.
Step into the unknown
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Here´s another picture with the alarm clock.
No exposure at all.
You all know the effect and how it works

Step into the unknown
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5184 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wow, kiketron...that is awesome. This is like the holy grail of Nest of Boxes. Fantastic job!!! Hopefully, you found the time you put in to be worth it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Thanks a lot Wizard
It worths the effort since it was a very difficult project to build

The cloth is different as I couldn´t find a matching one, but the rest of the table and workings are identical to the ones you find at the L&L publishing Dvds/Books of Wonder
Step into the unknown
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Congratulations for the passion to build this!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
I built a version three and have been using it in my shows for the past few years. I now need to raise some funds for another project so was thinking of selling it.

It is a genuine one off sale so I guess I am well within my rights to sell it but I was wondering what kind of price I might get for something like this? It has some wear and tear as you would expect from something used in performance regularly but it still works just fine and is nothing a bit of TLC wouldn't bring up to "as new'.
Any ideas?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 10:36, matthew wright wrote:
I built a version three and have been using it in my shows for the past few years. I now need to raise some funds for another project so was thinking of selling it.

It is a genuine one off sale so I guess I am well within my rights to sell it but I was wondering what kind of price I might get for something like this? It has some wear and tear as you would expect from something used in performance regularly but it still works just fine and is nothing a bit of TLC wouldn't bring up to "as new'.
Any ideas?

That is a hard question to answer, as you are trying to sell a home made version of the original. The only versions of real value would be one made by Tommy Wonder himself. I don't recognize your name as a master craftsman as well, and you did not even post a picture here in the forum. So we have really have nothing to go on, except a person in cyberland saying he built a working version of the original.

If I take the concept of making your own tricks from a book and DVD properly, then you will also have to sell it with the set of books and the DVD, like many of the illusions that are home built. Owning the book and DVD gives permission to use the prop. In most cases, it does not give you authority to sell an unauthorized copy though. I believe you will have to get permission from the late Tommy Wonder family estate to sell an unauthorized copy of his genius.

To comment on your other comments, why don't you clean it up, as doing so will give you best possible reasons for someone to buy it. Most magicians today, do not want to buy something and have to return it to good condition. Not everyone is craftsman, and thus you are looking for less people interested in owning your model.

The reasons most of the people who build their own versions is two fold. Some enjoy a challenge to see if it is possible to build such a complicated device. Others do it because they cannot afford the huge price, or simply do not want to pay the huge price, a device of this nature would cost on the retail market. Everything for sale must have a value point, and that value point to each individual person is different for them. I think this trick would cost over $2500 if it was made by a craftsman and authorized. If it was on the open market, it would be even higher prices because the dealers that handle it would have to get their profit for handling it.

I once inquired to Tommy Wonder about his Vanishing Bird Cage, and it was $1500 and that did not include an additional piece he used to cause the cage to vanish.

So what is your version worth, add up the materials you have in it, and that is what it is worth. Maybe $200.00 for the Base, tabletop, wood, metal, and everything is well used as you mentioned.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

I thought about doing it up before selling but I think it is much more controversial.
My take on it was that if I am selling my own used second hand prop I would be well within my rights to do so. If I start doing it up and selling it "as new" then it is on much less safe ground with regards to needing permission from the estate etc.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Give two prices; #1 "as is" from the photos (post some), and #2 "repainted" or "touched up" to "look like it did when it was new." Let the purchaser decide. Don't discuss what you do openly, but only with the potential purchaser. PM me your quote for #1.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 11:33, matthew wright wrote:
I thought about doing it up before selling but I think it is much more controversial.
My take on it was that if I am selling my own used second hand prop I would be well within my rights to do so. If I start doing it up and selling it "as new" then it is on much less safe ground with regards to needing permission from the estate etc.

Returning a home made magic piece to new condition is not controversial. What is controversial is you selling a piece you have no right to sell. The items in the books are discribed so they can be made by those that want to own or use them, not to be selling the items for a profit. If you no longer which to possess your creation, then it should be destroyed, not sold.

As someone will eventually come on the Café and say they found this box thing that sets on a table with all kinds of working in it. Who made it and what is it worth, so I can sell it, as I have no interest in using it.

So please inscribe your name on the trick, and say it is a personal creation you made.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

No worries, I just won't sell it.
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Right decision
Step into the unknown
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
A new picture of my version 3
I´ve added the arrows to the alarm clock

Step into the unknown
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5184 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Beautiful!
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
I´ve printed a new design for my cloth, closer to Tommy´s original design
I´ll post new pictures when mounted on the table

Step into the unknown
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5184 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Looking good...
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
731 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Kiketron, is there anyway you might tell us where you found the alarm clock and such?
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Brian I just manufactured each piece myself as I couldn´t find nothing already done wherever I searched.
There is a lot of work involved in the process.

The alarm clock is a normal one (yellow originally).
When it was repaired and modified for the effect I painted it red.

All pieces were manufactured and machined by me at my workshop.
I had to repeat the pieces several times to make them work as the original.
And that´s just the alarm clock.
Step into the unknown
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Et Voilà !!!

My Project finished with the new and improved cloth.I got rid of the other one.

This is my personal Tribute in Memoriam of my favourite magician of all the times: Jos Bemelman a.k.a TOMMY WONDER

This prop has been seen working by a few known spanish magicians here these last few days.(All of them Tommy Wonder fans)

I hope you like it too.

Step into the unknown
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Kiketron AMAZING!!!!