The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building Open Top Table Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
Of course I've heard of a couch. What's your point Kregg?
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I could try to make you one. I'll paint it whatever color you want. I just made one last week and it is awsome. Here are some pics of it.
http://www.freewebs.com/magict13/magictables.htm
PM me if you are interested.
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
Nice table Tyler! You did a good job with that. However, I have a table similar to that already (suitcase style). The thread is about open top tables. I built one (it's basically a box with a sliding lid/top) recently and now I'm trying to determine what I'll use for the base. Check out Chaletmagic.com and look for the Laflin Table for an example.

Kregg, the Ozite accepts velcro. Blue Jean material does not. That's why the Ozite is so good (IMOP).
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7569 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hagemagic and others -

If you wish to look at Chalet Magic products, but are annoyed by all the pop-ups on George's site (because he is on a free server), then have a look at Denny & Lee's website.

http://www.dennymagic.com/

Here's a direct link to the Laflin Tabl......'s site.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
So, here's what I've come up with. Several months ago, I bought a Boom Mic Stand ($25). I have taken it apart, so now all I have is the base (three legs that extend). I insterted a steel pipe in the center ($3) and attached a steel pipe flange to the bottom of the box ($1.50). Now I have a great base for the box and it unscrews and is ready for the next show. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I recently took a great suggestion by Alan Munro with a bit of variation.

I got a "plastic tote". You know, those plastic tubs with lids that you can buy at Wal-Mart among other places.

Mine is 12 in deep. They come in various sizes. For decoration/disguise, I am putting a 'skirt' around it of black velveteen with some gold ribbon along the bottom edge.
You could paint it however you like. There is now a spray paint that works on plastic surfaces. Walmart carries it.

Inside, I am making dividers from cardboard. Each trick will have its own cubical. On the very bottom I am placing 1 inch thick foam, which can be gotten at large fabric stores by the yard.

As for the waiter tray, that would put my box too high. So, I had a inexpensive wooden "TV tray". To eliminate weight, I removed the table top part and simply tied some nylon string in a loop that would correspond with the strap on the waiters tray. So now, I have a stable, light, "mini" waiter's tray on which to set my box.

One could get a nice sign made with one's name on the inside if the lid and simply place it at the front of the box. Also, if you have one or two tricks that require a table top, make one the size you need (felt covered plywood or whatever). When you need it in the act, just place it on top of the box.

Anyway..I hope you get the idea!
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
The ORIGINAL 10 Second Table is still available (and we think, still the best!)
We have recently moved, but you'll find updated contact information at: http://www.charvetmagic.com
Thanks!
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Hi All,

I started to build my own props in 1956, after a prop I bought at a magic shop for twenty four,hard earned dollars, came apart the third time I used it!
Talk about EMBARRASSING!
From that point on,I would buy a prop,and if it was cheaply made,I would build a better one. I built most of the props I used until I retired in 1991.

During my working years I would build on request a prop for someone else (fold-up prop tables,jump cuffs,and a number of others). I built my own Sword-thru-neck which I've used for over thirty-five years!
A few years ago a magician friend of mine ask me if I would make him up one of my Swords-thru-neck? I did. He loved it,and suggested I make them up on special order! Plus a number of other props!

Check my web site. MrESCAPE.com

I think it's really great how you all help each other. If I can be of help to any one,just e-mail me!
MrESCAPE@juno.com

May You Always Escape,

Steve Baker, MR.ESCAP
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bev Bergeron discribes the Tony Marks Box open top table in his book.

http://www.bevbergeron.com/

Simple to build.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Will the Eureka tripod be adapted easily to any aluminum suitcase?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
What you have to do is use a 3/4 electrical connector on the top of the pipe. Then a floor flange can be mounted on the bottom of the suitcase. Reinforce the other side with a piece of metal so it more reinforced to take the strain.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Richard. I'm undecided on buying the Eureka stand first for 70 dollars or all together as a one piece suitcase and stand (all thumbs here).
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Candini if your All Thumbs, which one is your trigger finger?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will check what I have around I might be able to make you up a Eureka Base (which by the way is a MaK Magic name as I get them direct from the manufacturer. But he has a high minimum) with a flange and plate. All you would have to do is drill four holes and put the bolts through and tighten.

I'll check in the shop tomorrow and get back to you. Email to remind if you do not hear in a couple of days.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Richard!

Are these pretty stable to hold a suitcase?

Donster,

All of em are:)

WC
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
How big of a suitcase and how much wieght is in it?
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
In regard to the original question of where to find open top tables, http://www.magicauction.com has several. They may or may not be what you are looking for. Hope this helps.