The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Paint job on steps for cane cabinet. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Settle down gentlemen. Save the nit-picking for another forum. We try to keep the Workshop a positive place. We "construct" things here. We don't "destruct" them.

Regarding Luke's steps... the design is not the best. The easiest fix would be to reverse the colors. Draw the eye to the thinnest part of the prop, not the part you want to hide.

Even better would be to eliminate the vertical trim. It adds size to the dimension that you want to downplay.

Better still would be to not have the steps the same color scheme as the cabinet. It makes it appear as if it is part of a whole. Keep the cabinet bright, but let the steps recede, as if they are unimportant.

The photo of the Osborne steps shows me one glaring fault. They are designed to look like a crate, yet you may never in your lifetime see a crate that looks quite like that. If I was charged with making such a set of steps to look as if they are just a crate, I would take that design and turn it into two crates, one atop the other. I would probably even position the top one to appear slightly askew, and might even go so far as to have the top one shift a bit so as to REALLY appear to be a separate piece. As with the example given above of the Doll House, divide the space optically.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfLuke
Thanks! I will most likely build a new set of steps, or just repaint. Thanks for all the help, Luke.
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

I came across this video and it looks like I have a pretty similar design and color scheme to his. It looks like his trim is thinner and the front of his steps are black though.

http://youtu.be/Am3Thew6P10
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

In this video the steps have thin trim and are painted completely black.

http://youtu.be/vm8V-gkhrIA
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Settle down gentlemen. Save the nit-picking for another forum. We try to keep the Workshop a positive place. We "construct" things here. We don't "destruct" them.

Regarding Luke's steps... the design is not the best. The easiest fix would be to reverse the colors. Draw the eye to the thinnest part of the prop, not the part you want to hide.

Even better would be to eliminate the vertical trim. It adds size to the dimension that you want to downplay.

Better still would be to not have the steps the same color scheme as the cabinet. It makes it appear as if it is part of a whole. Keep the cabinet bright, but let the steps recede, as if they are unimportant.

The photo of the Osborne steps shows me one glaring fault. They are designed to look like a crate, yet you may never in your lifetime see a crate that looks quite like that. If I was charged with making such a set of steps to look as if they are just a crate, I would take that design and turn it into two crates, one atop the other. I would probably even position the top one to appear slightly askew, and might even go so far as to have the top one shift a bit so as to REALLY appear to be a separate piece. As with the example given above of the Doll House, divide the space optically.

Thanks Michael. I always appreciate it when a skilled builder agrees with me completely.

blamobox
View Profile
New user
A shed in Somerset England
52 Posts

Profile of blamobox
Luke,

Check out some of the photos online of 'Deceptive steps'
Also, check out some of the Osborne illusion system books and Rand Woodbury"s work.

Study how a 'normal' staircase is built and how it looks.

If the risers are a matt Black and the steps overhang it can all be very deceptive.

The steps should look incidental, they are not part of the illusion.

I hope this has been of some help.
Time Ticks Away Like a Peanut............