The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Table Surface of a U.F. GRANT'S TRICKY TABLE TOP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 12:53, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 12:29, Ekuth wrote:
Why not replace the top with a continous piece of triple velvet? FYI: if you do, DO NOT USE ADHESIVE SPRAY TO GLUE IT DOWN.

Only edge glue velvet and stretch carefully. If you glue the whole thing it WILL wrinkle.

You'd have to know this particular table top to understand why that would not work. Smile

Ahhh! I have not seen the table, no, so forgive my ignorance. *bows*
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
Well this is fascinating .. neither of these companies will sell the adhesive to Canada because it's a hazardous chemical.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I would do some trials before working on your table top but flocking will stick to wet paint. I flocked some record trays for a 1940's jukebox about 25 years ago and they still look great. It was probably an oil based paint but I don't really recall.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That's odd, because the adhesive was the first thing that showed up when I searched the Woodcraft Canada site.

You can also use a glue that dries clear (like Elmer's school glue), as long as the substrate is the same color as the flock fibers. The reason for the adhesive is for color match. Since the application would be black, just make sure the surface is black before you proceed. You may or may not have sanded to the point where bare wood shows through. If so, just spray any questionable areas with flat black before going through the flocking process.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I found a couple of sites that sell flocking material that recommend using acrylic paint for adhesive.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-03-24 18:37, AGMagic wrote:
I found a couple of sites that sell flocking material that recommend using acrylic paint for adhesive.

I was going on knowledge from my model railroading days, but acrylic paint should be excellent, as color matches can be customized. I use acrylic paint to color liquid latex on anything from making prosthetics to backing carpet samples for close-up pads. It works great. I wouldn't use the latex for the table though, as a hard finish is probably more desirable.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
Well I just got an email from Donjer products... they responded on a weekend wow.. So it turns out that Lee Valley Tools sells the kits.. ever more sweeter is there is a Lee Valley less then a mile from my house. I googled for an hour on this I couldn't find a thing.. Very impressed with this Donjer products !! Now lets get started on this little project.. Before and after pictures will follow.. LOL
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Lee Valley is a very addictive toy store.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
Ok just one final question as I now have the flock in hand..

With respect to the gimmick doors of the table. As my objective is to try to hide these doors with flock the best I can.. Should I just tape the inside of the door holes.. or just adhesive and flock the whole table let it dry then cut into the door holes ?? I hope you understand what I mean..
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
Which is better Nylon Fibers or Suede ??
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 12:39, insidetheeye wrote:
Ok just one final question as I now have the flock in hand..

With respect to the gimmick doors of the table. As my objective is to try to hide these doors with flock the best I can.. Should I just tape the inside of the door holes.. or just adhesive and flock the whole table let it dry then cut into the door holes ?? I hope you understand what I mean..

If the glue is applied correctly, you should not have any flock on places there is no glue. Glue should not be permitted to 'run' down the sides of the doors. You should tape off all places you do not want flock. The new frog tape is one way to go with sharp edges.

Spend more time on the preparation and you will not have a lot of clean up work.