The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Collapsable tip-over trunk plans? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Ah, but is pie in the face magic... if it does not vanish?

Walt
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 13:15, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Ah, but is pie in the face magic... if it does not vanish?

Walt

Maybe not for everyone, but it is amazing drama! Smile

Ok, you bring up a good point, so let me shoot a reply from the hip...

Stand alone, the effect may not be the strongest. So, let's suppose I decided to address that in my own mind, for my own show, and decided that it may serve a higher purpose, if used in conjunction with a stronger magic effect.

My example would be not the head vanish, but a hand chopper that I do use, but only as a peripheral effect in the course of a more interesting plot. The chopper is normally a crappy trick, with a predictable putzy, cliche finish. Ahh... but, it can become a funny interlude in a more well-rounded plot. It all depends on how you use it and the level and type of importance that you place upon it!

In such a case, lesser effects serve to augment the better routine! Consider it to be one of the more elaborate "bits of business". Understanding the individual thoughts of the kids is good, but overlooking mob mentality is a missed opportunity.

Not a complete thought above, but in my mind better than closing my eyes to the possibilities! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 11:02, Michael Baker wrote:

Of course this goes against all logic. However, that misses the point entirely. In this context, the kids spend 5% of their energy wondering if it could really happen, but 95% of their time having fun watching this happen to a teacher or the principal.

I continue to be enlightened on here by so many great thoughts. Michael, this is such a great point. With my specific magic thinking... I have always thought this particular effect was a waste as you had a track with the body going into the box so you KNEW the head was in there, you just couldn't "see" it, as opposed to the stronger magic potential of an effect where the entire body vanished and there was nothing pointing to where the body MUST be.

As you've astutely pointed out... with kids and this particular effect, the magic isn't the point! It's all about messing with the "adult".

Thanks for keeping my eyes open about what counts... and that is taking that specific audience on the ride they will enjoy the most.
Ray Pierce
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 16:59, Ed_Millis wrote:
Thank you, Michael - that makes perfect sense!
I'm going to start looking for plans!

Ed

Andrew Mayne has plans for a really cool version that uses umbrellas. He makes it out of a cardboard box, but you could certainly modify the materials to make it more sturdy.

The effect is called "Extreme Brain Damage", and can be found at http://www.shockmagic.com
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I've got his Shock FX DVD with one version of that on it. Gonna hafta look at that again.

Ed