The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Super Duper Mistake ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
One thing I forgot to clarify .. it runs on 110 volt electric. There is another small motor that rotates the blower from left to right. It all works on one switch and one plug .. and a mess of wires.

Also forgot to mention .. this is something I would probably never use in a show, just my own amusement. My amusement does have a price tag ...

Steve
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh, then why are we discussing this? Just toss it in the junk bin. Send me the Rabbit cut out, I need that.

Regan, the noise can be covered by the music. It does make a little echo noise being it is in a box. The farther away you are the less it is heard.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I don't know how much airflow you need, but you might consider a heat gun (with the heat element removed - $29.95 from HF) or re-purposing an electric leaf blower (Toro Powersweep retails for around $30). You might also try McMaster-Carr. Like Grainger, they carry a lot of blowers and such.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7678 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Take to an electrical motor repair shop. They can rewind the motor good as new.

Also, check American Scientific (in your area) for surplus stuff.

A lot of the early Abbott stuff was made with surplus parts. It is very hard, if not impossible, to get an exact match of the item.

You might also try rubbing some of the paint off the motor housing. But if Abbott's was smart, they removed all traces of any numbers.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Try the Surplus Center. They have all kinds of off-beat motors.
http://www.surpluscenter.com
johnsterlini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of johnsterlini
Steve,
When I get away from the hospital, I'll check my notes. I did have a model number of the original. I believe it was no longer referenced but found a comparable replacement. We put out a version of it a couple years ago, but it works a little bit differently (and priced much higher!) and uses a much larger, 12 volt motor, which would not work for the Super Duper Balloon.

While we're talking about it, check out Fred Becker's routine on our site - he gets a lot of mileage with it.
http://www.sterlinimagic.com/product_info.php?products_id=58

Not trying to plug our prop, as we are temporarily closed and not manufacturing any products at this time.
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
I am going to chime in on the motor repair place, especially looking for one that has been around forever. Way back when, the Alternator on my VW rabbit gave out. The new one was about $200 in 1982 dollars. The rewinding of the old one took less than a day and was $40. It's worth it.

Just my .02
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
It's been a little bit, but I think I called a local repair shop and it was going to be more expensive to repair than to replace the motor. They said something about it would be costly to test it and so on. I might bring it in and see what they say in person.

Thanks for all the great suggestions .. this is just an odd piece that I'd like to have in my collection.

Steve
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 12:25, Chezaday wrote:
It's been a little bit, but I think I called a local repair shop and it was going to be more expensive to repair than to replace the motor. They said something about it would be costly to test it and so on.

I'm not surprised for where you live... you probably talked to some friggin' union electrician. Sounds more like he didn't want to do the work. Keep talking to your friends locally. I'd bet eventually you'll find someone who can point you to someone who won't try to con you.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Results by telephone are often different than when you actually walk in a place. Many times, you see a knowledgeable person that can give advice.

I once took my car into a parts place, and before I know it, I have 3 people trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Did not cost me a thing.

Remember, these type of people love a good puzzle, just like magicians love a good trick to figure out.

Go in, be your humble self, and act really stupid about motors. You may be surprised about the results.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
OK, here are some numbers from my blower:
Dayton 2C610
Rpm 3020
115 v.
140 cfm

Motor? J84

This is a square outlet blower. I have a round outlet blower but can not get to it right now.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Graingers sell Dayton motors.

Nick
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I'll check out that lead on the Dayton motor. I went to Grainger with the motor a few months ago with no luck.

Steve
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Grainger sells the complete blower (squirrel cage with mounted Dayton motor) but possibly not just the motor. Talk to a different counter person.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Nice work .. but I'm not sure it will fit. The box is very small with all its components inside. There is a harness/clamp that wraps around the motor itself. This is attached to an arm that rotates the motor from left to right.

Steve
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
You may be able to find out what size the motor is on an eBay unit and just replace your motor. That way, everything would still be the same.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Ok .. I finally went to Dreisilker Motors in nearby Glen Ellyn, IL. The rewinding of a motor would be very costly, to the tune of $100.00 an hour. This is not an option. They suggested simply replacing the motor for $70 .. something about a 5/8" shaft part number D127. This again is not really an option, as I'm not going to use this piece any time soon.

Like I said before .. I figured I could simply pick up this part on eBay for like $30.00 and play with it later.

No big deal .. mystery solved.

Steve
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If the piece is not working and your other options exhausted, this may be a good time to open the case and see if you can figure out where the wire leads pulled loose and resolder them. Take it to a friend's house to plug it in. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Duh .. I took it apart first thing. The wires were inserted into the coil .. looks like they were held in by tape! That's pretty much as far as I got with that.

The motor just needs to be replaced. I saw a few on eBay, but I'm not sure if everything will line up correctly. The shaft looks longer, and there are extra posts and things .. I don't know.

Like I said .. there is a price on my own amusement.

Steve