The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Books on props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
This article has some suggestion some are expensive but other are not:

http://magicgizmo.com/home/Magic-Worksho......ers.html
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
[quote]On 2009-10-16 00:51, Michael Baker wrote:
Hi Gilbert,

Welcome to The Magic Café!

Pay heed to everything Spellbinder said, plus learn to draw your own plans for these smaller projects. If you understand how these basic boxes are put together, then you can knock out a workable set of plans in very short order. They may not be the prettiest "sellable" plans, but certainly enough to have you cutting the correct size pieces. I have a ring binder that is full of the ones I've made for my own use.

Google has a free drawing program that allows you to make very detailed and dimensionally correct 3D drawings. These drawings can then be disassembled to produce details of the individual pieces you need to build your project. The program is called sketch up and is fairly intuative to use. On line help sessions are available.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks much for that info. I'll be checking that out very soon. I learned basic drafting in school, so my methods generally involve a pencil and a straight edge. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Sketch up is great. I learned about it from my woodworking magazines. I've used it for designing furnture; shop workstations; a walkway, stairs and a ramp for a tennis court; and of course several magic projects. The free version will do anything you need for woodworking.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I love SketchUp (I use it in my work as a theatrical designer), but it does have one little itsy-bitsy problem. It's so easy to draw, say, a rectangle and then "Push-Pull" it to form a box, that, unless you're very careful, everything you design ends up looking like a box. Then there's the Offset feature, which lets you do "stairstep" or "wedding cake" constructions so fast that you get tempted to use it all the time. I've seen way too many designs done totally in it, which look like they were done by a robot.

You may want to take a peek at my column on this topic. Just click on the link in my signature below.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
I like ViaCAD v. 6

It is affordable and allows both 2D and 3D drawing.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-05-06 19:49, George Ledo wrote:...You may want to take a peek at my column on this topic. Just click on the link in my signature below...

You did a find job illustrating the article. I loved your handmade sketches. They look a lot like what I do when Im visualizing how things will go together.

Im sure you could build perfectly using your handmade sketches but the combo really illustrated the point.

Thanks for sharing.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Does anyone here know where I can get Tommy Wonder and Stephen Minch - Books of Wonder vol.1 without paying a fortune? I have vol 2

Thanks
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You should get 50 legitimate posts and then ask in the Buy/Sell forum. Those are Café rules.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2010-05-07 00:42, tabman wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-06 19:49, George Ledo wrote:...You may want to take a peek at my column on this topic. Just click on the link in my signature below...

You did a find job illustrating the article. I loved your handmade sketches. They look a lot like what I do when Im visualizing how things will go together.

Im sure you could build perfectly using your handmade sketches but the combo really illustrated the point.

Thanks for sharing.

You're more than welcome. Happy to share.

You put your finger on an interesting point. Sure, I could have probably built a piece directly from the hand sketches (and I've done it a number of times), but I did need the detailed drawings to show the construction crew what I wanted. So in this case we needed both.

On the other hand, I've seen a number of cases where someone creates unbelievably detailed drawings for something they're going to build on their own, and I always wonder if the drawing has become a project in itself. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-05-07 15:32, George Ledo wrote:...You put your finger on an interesting point. Sure, I could have probably built a piece directly from the hand sketches (and I've done it a number of times), but I did need the detailed drawings to show the construction crew what I wanted. So in this case we needed both....

You can see the details in your minds-eye but with those detailed drawings almost anyone who knew their way around tools and materials could build to the 3-d drawings.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading it again and looking at the illustrations. Very good article.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quote:
On 2010-05-06 19:49, George Ledo wrote:
I love SketchUp (I use it in my work as a theatrical designer), but it does have one little itsy-bitsy problem. It's so easy to draw, say, a rectangle and then "Push-Pull" it to form a box, that, unless you're very careful, everything you design ends up looking like a box.

George, great article. I agree that you can easily make everything look like a box, but then again I am mostly building variations of boxes so that is not a problem. My first sketch-up project was a toe pincher coffin for a comedy murder mystery dinner theatre. It really helped to visualize the finished project before the build started.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm sure there are tremendous advantages to this, but I can see this as being an easier way to produce crap, when in the wrong hands. Any tool that aids the artist, or craftsman, whether it is a pencil, a compass, a table saw, a can of paint, or a computer is only going to be as useful as the ability, skill, and artistic vision of the user. In the right hands, a true artist could make your emotions explode with delight by using the most minimum of things. In the wrong hands, it's like giving a tank to a child.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Michael, that's beautifully put. Thank you. It's really humbling, when you think of it, what the Renaissance architects and sculptors could come up with, using little more than a sheet of paper and a charcoal stick. Maybe a straight edge.

And whatever they used for coffee. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-05-08 00:23, George Ledo wrote:
Michael, that's beautifully put. Thank you. It's really humbling, when you think of it, what the Renaissance architects and sculptors could come up with, using little more than a sheet of paper and a charcoal stick. Maybe a straight edge.

Still counting on that coffee one day! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
edec
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of edec
Look what I found !
A guy building his own mirror box :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raiFzWTyEKU&NR=1

;-)
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2010-05-08 02:53, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-08 00:23, George Ledo wrote:

Still counting on that coffee one day! Smile

Me too! Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
The guy jarrett book is inexpensive and will get you to thinking like him.you must think like a movie special effects man.there are no rules.if a piece of tape or rubber band works better than a spring or hinge but must be replaced each time then use it instead.relaibility and performer comfort are the most important factors.ali bongo said that great satisfaction comes from using props you have made yourself.plus,there are no slip-ups bcoz you understand the prop completly.i have found that making 3 of a given thing results in the final one being streamlined to optimo specs.then you can sell the first 2 to other magi friends and recoup your total costs.it's a business.