The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Deceptive stairs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-24 13:01, Ray Pierce wrote:
It was just to remember that we've all done the "building in the driveway" routine!

I always loved working outside and had one end of the TN shop completely open and reading these threads on the Café. You never know who might chime in with some good information. Magic is still fun after all these years and I was glad to see you on here. You probably don't remember but you helped me out with some great advice in the Kozak show days. In fact, the story is in Tabman Magic. Those HF did the trick. Thanks again.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
BRodgers, how much for a set of deceptive steps?
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 11:03, Maloney wrote:
BRodgers, how much for a set of deceptive steps?

Sent you a PM.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Re: cardboard.

Cardboard may be expensive, but building a piece out of good lumber or plywood, or whatever, then finding it won't quite work ain't cheap either.

Although it's nice to have large sheets of cardboard to work with, gluing together smaller pieces from old boxes is better than making a costly mistake.

Thom
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Thom is 100% correct. And in a pinch, you don't even need glue. Just use duct tape.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Can't agree more with the idea of building a cardboard prototype first. Years ago, we had a custom set of steps made for us by a great ilusion builder over here in the UK.

He suggested a size that he thought I could fit into and we thought it sounded far too large. We made a mock up ourselves completely out of large appliance cardboard boxes acquired from electrical stores and were literally shaving off half an inch at a time until we got the size down to as small as we could without being unworkable.

We then took the mock up back to our builder who was delighted that we had gone to that much effort to get the size down as small as we could. I think in the end, we managed to shave off about 4" from his original design.

Stu