The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Painting Steel to Look Like Wood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think the key component being overlooked is that it should look normal, which does not necessarily mean lighter. It may be desirable to want the seat portion (everything above the legs, to look thinner. This can be achieved by extending the upper portion out ward, as TW showed with his "donut" feature. But, it can also be achieved by horizontal banding on the upper portion... perhaps a 1" band of chrome near the bottom edge, with dead black vinyl above and below that.

Like this.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
To me this is what a barstool looks like the seat completely covered with chrome legs. Make it look like this and everyone will think it is heavy.

Click here to view attached image.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
You can get thin, paper backed wood veneer. This looks just like wood because it is wood. Some of it is actually adhesive backed. You can cut it with a razor knife and attach it to the stool. You will have to finish it , although I think you can get it prefinished as well. If you do finish it you have to be careful that the finish doesn't dissolve the adhesive under it.

Google wood veneer ro see you options.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Here is my re-designed barstool. Thanks for all your suggestions on this matter.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Hi Lou,

That barstool looks great after the make-over!
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Huge difference!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Much nicer!
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]