The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Coin gaffing and lathes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Franky33
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Franky33
Quote:
On 2009-06-12 11:57, tabman wrote:
Unimat. The Johnson coins were prototyped on a Unimat. Cheap on Ebay. A nice outfit around $500.

-=tabman

That Unimat looks cool. I wish I had something that I needed to make to justify buying one. At least I now know that it exists. Thanks for the heads up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZe3E3rpRTk
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Hey, don't call/email people in the know of expanded shells, to reveal their secrets. They get pretty *)*)*)(*)(*) upset about being asked.
I guess this is a trade secret. There are actually several ways to make them, but they all take a bit of time and expense.
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
@ tabman the very first Johnson coins were made by Sheldon Atterbury on a small 6" craftsman lathe. (i saw it in his garage). He and C Johnson took the prototypes to Sam Laport (who later bought the business and became Johnson products). Sammy Laport used a Logan lathe with collets to hold the coins (made them special). The expanded shells were made from all silver coins using a spinnning process to expand the coin as it was held (barely grabbed) by the outer edges. He also ran the lathe in reverse for this process (am not sure why, but I believe it was to get a better finish inside). I was there.