The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building a close up table. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
D Walker
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of D Walker
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 02:40, oso2you wrote:
Just wondering if card table legs are too flimsy to work on a light weight table. Sure would be convenient.

What are you referring to when you say Card Table Legs?
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I'm going to hijack this thread...

I'm going to build myself a table for the street and will present pictures when I'm done. I'll also do a few photographs of the construction if it is interesting.

First, I'm starting with a keyboard stand rather than fabricating a set of legs. I like the folding, the strength, and the stability. It's possible to make a set of legs and I might try that some day, but this will do for now. I can also steal/borrow this from a friend who no longer uses her keyboard stand opting for a more permanent arrangement.

This will be done quick and easily, but I think the results will be good. I picked up a piece of Baltic Birch plywood,1/2x24x30 inches at Rockler for $15. I might cut it a little narrower.

I'm going to order (after a little bit more looking around) for foam padding and fabric. Both will be purchased from a poker-table-materials supplier. This should hold up a bit longer than most fabric from a fabric store.

Should I glue either/both of the foam and cloth to the wood? I do plan on stretching tight and stapling in place, but wonder about the glue?

For the edging I'll cut some wood (I"ve got a table saw. I think I'll groove the wood to fit the table top with fabric and padding in place. Should I use a hardwood or can I get away with pine or poplar?
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Just FYI:

There's a chapter in my new book, Tabman Magic on making a basic Tabman Table and just how I put them together for many years plus pages of information on all the other table designs I popularized over the years. Everything is included plus a lot more. It's been a lot of fun putting it all together. The book will be out soon.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Very cool Tabman!

Being both a wood worker and student of magic I reckon this will be a MUST have in my library!

Lookin forward to it,

Mick
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 12:25, MickeyPainless wrote:
Very cool Tabman!

Being both a wood worker and student of magic I reckon this will be a MUST have in my library!

Lookin forward to it,

Mick

Thanks Mick,

Ray Witko reminded me this morning that he owns Tabman Tables and that is a fact. He paid me good money for the line.

I'd just like to say that the book isn't about Tabman Tables and not a book of detailed plans but does include some original sketches that I made building up to actually making a prop and a lot of the custom one off stuff prior to Tabman USA. I do tell how I made a lot of the stuff in the beginning and how I got to be called "the tabman" and how I managed to find my way through the maze to the inner circle of prop making and magic politics. It's an interesting story and should make for a good read and I want to tell tell the tale b4 it's too late.

And please, let me point out that for anything in the original Tabman USA line of magic please get in touch with Ray Witko at http://tabmantables.com. I am not building magic any more. It's all up to Ray.

Anyway, onward and upward and thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them. It's been a haul and I'm having fun telling my side of the story!!!

Best,

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Thanks for clearing that up Tabby. I'm going to try to have a dealer's booth this year at the I.B.M. convention in Nashville, why don't you join me. You can demo the stuff. To busy making them and don't have time to practice. If you hurry up with your book we can sell it there.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 15:13, raywitko wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up Tabby. I'm going to try to have a dealer's booth this year at the I.B.M. convention in Nashville, why don't you join me. You can demo the stuff. To busy making them and don't have time to practice. If you hurry up with your book we can sell it there.
Ray

I.B.M. is in Nashville this year?? You're tempting me. That would be a lot of fun. I know how it is when you make props for a living. That's all you have time to do anything else. We'll stay in touch about it. I'd love to see a lot of old friends and maybe make some new ones too. Thanks for the offer.