The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building My First Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
You have 2 options- First, you can use the factory edge for the center overlap. Or, what I do is double the spandex over so that both pieces have a fold where they meet at the center for the overlap. This way, you have a double layer of spandex everywhere.
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
I know this thread is a little outdated, but did you finish the illusion? How did it turn out, I'm just curious?
Kevin Smile
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Wow..I haven't worked on it in a while, but I want to bring it in and work till its finished. I just have to assemble the legs, put vinyl on, cover with spandex, paint,etc...the rough building is finished!
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
Cool, I happy to know someone else like me is on this forum. I about your age and am mostly interested in stage illusion although I know having a kids magic show will very much help me build experience and funds. Could you explain how you took woodworking classes, because I am interested in this? Did they help you build the skills you use with illusion building?
Kevin Smile
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
I take woodworking projects in 4-H, they didn't teach me that much, It is my dad that helped me the most.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2008-08-21 22:03, Illusionist11 wrote:
... my dad has a workshop with all the tools imaginable.

You are so fortunate! Take full advantage of that (sounds like you are...). The initial price of the tools has kept me from attempting this sort of thing, although they would pay for themselves quickly with just a few illusions.

You're on your way. Keep at it, land the Hans Klok account and retire before age 30.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Any chance of making a base that's not too boxy? When the base looks too square the audience automatically suspects something.

Sharpes book (Conjuror's Optical Secrets - Sharpe) has some methods to make the thickness look lreduced by adding more horizontal details.

You can also browse the net looking at other bases.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I am sure you can cut the sides on an angle on the top and bottom leaving room for an aluminum strip to go around the sides.

Being that he used such thick wood, it should not be too hard.
-Matt
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Well...I did bevel them a bit with a power sander,but that's about it..there are nails pretty close to the side, I can't cut too far in. But this is my first build so I'm glad some of these things happened, I learned a lot from it...but the base is still going to come out good.
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Illisionist11 - I have built more then a few bases. Do a search here on the Café to see some pics.

An easy way to bevel the corners/edges would be to use an electric planer. You should be able to rent one from Home Depot for the day.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Yeah.. I've seen your bases, I'm just saying that I beveled mine as far as I can..there are some nails in the way of doing it further. The picture on the previous page is when it is not beveled yet.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hey Illusionist11. A good way to do the beveling is to not use nails at first. Of course you use wood glue, but then use Drywall (black) screws to hold the drying process, long with clamps. Once that sets, whichever side you are beveling, Take the screws out, and then bevel. Once beveled to your liking, then replace the drywall screws to that side, and then put the nails in. Most likely, the old holes will be cut off anyway, so you make another pilot hole, and screw in the drywall screws. While this adds another step (just as long as you are in no hurry), you don't have to worry about destroying a blade on a steel nail *smile*. Seeing as you don't have a table saw (just a guess), there is another method that I use to get and exact angle cut on all four sides. Its more dangerous, but hey, its not fun if there is no danger in it! *haha*
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
This may be a stupid question, but I will ask it anyways. I am not so sure what you mean by beveling the corners/edges. If someone could explain it to me it would be very helpful. I always thought you bevel the points were the edges branch inward to form the top and bottom, but what exactly do you mean by the "edges"?
Kevin Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-01-19 17:07, MagicKAmazinG wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but I will ask it anyways. I am not so sure what you mean by beveling the corners/edges. If someone could explain it to me it would be very helpful. I always thought you bevel the points were the edges branch inward to form the top and bottom, but what exactly do you mean by the "edges"?

That is a question that is, although not difficult, very involved to answer. Basically, the sides/top/bottom of the base are not parallel/perpendicular so as to make the base more deceptive when used with certain illusions.

I suggest purchasing a basic book on illusion building, such as one of the Paul Osborne books or Rand Woodbury's "The Base Book" to answer your questions.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
I have the illusion systems series, but I am confused to as what you mean with the sides. In what way would that be beveled?
Kevin Smile
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
Update: I rewatched the first part of the illusionworks DVD's and understand what you mean now. Sorry for the trouble, I was just confused with exactly what the "sides" were because there are so many sides of an illusion.
Kevin Smile