The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Who has built a Bryce's Screen Illusion? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Bryce did have a number of items published over the years. I think most if not all were in TOPS. He did have an effect in the Linking Ring a couple years back in the Ring 339 Parade.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
I like Abbotts Bryces screen because it takes no set up time and is more sturdy. It is also slightly taller than 6 feet. All those pack small set up illusions take to much time to set and are not sturdy.

Don
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2007-11-24 20:49, Don wrote:
All those pack small set up illusions take to much time to set and are not sturdy.

Don

If you are referring to the Creative Illusions versions, they do take a little time to set up if they use the bungee poles but I do that before traveling with them. (The Victory Cubes take no time at all!) The convenience in the other illusions (B Screens Arabian Framework) is the storage of them, as well as the very attractive designs.

When I used the Arabian Framework last year, I put them together at home, transported them assembled to the show, transported them assembled home and then disassembled them.

Michael
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
I understand Michael. Abbotts version of the Bryces screen is only 30 pounds but very sturdy. I like that you don't have to put it together or tear it apart. It can fit in a closet or under a bed, it is that small.

Don
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

I understand you point of view but the Creative Illusions version of the Bryce's Screens can be left assembled, as well, but also offers the option of storing it in a small bag. In addition, it is taller (6'6" tall) and can be split into two sections to use as background screens.

I have nothing against the Abbotts' version. It's just another option.

Michael
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Something I have looked into is supplying my own Santa (and costume) for the production during the show, and letting the company or mall substitute their own after the show wraps up and Santa's ready to greet the folks.

I thought this would also be good especially for corporate events, and the Santa could even stroll for a while amongst the guests/tables.

This gives YOU more flexibility and control over the production, and a possible add-on to increase the $$$$ for the event. Santa's go out at $100.00 per hour or more in some locations. I would like to think you are charging $$$$ to add the Santa production (we do not use it as just a hook to book the show) therefore you could pay off a good suit and illusion in no time. So while you are packing up the show, your Santa is making you some extra cash. It would also be great for that stage prsentation where you want a really good looking Santa, and not one in a Wal-mart costume!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Blair,

I used to do this in the early 90's for mall shows. It was great because my Santa was a professional actor and he wasn't huge! (He wore a "belly booster.")

Unfortunately, the malls started complaining that my Santa did not look the one that would pose for photos with the kids. Now, the trend is to use a "real" Santa. By that, I mean they have to have a real white beard, real white hair and the belly has to be real. These guys are huge!

I've produced two Santas over the years that were over 6'4" tall and weighed well over 300 lbs. Thank goodness my chimney looks really heavy so it isn't so obvious that there's a huge person in it!

Michael
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I was one of those real Santa's in 2004 at our local mall. I was 'discovered' by a Knorr representative at the IHOP when the church went out on a Wednesday after church. Apparently the usual Santa was a building contractor and he had a big project and couldn't do it that year. I'm only 5'7" and I weighed 256 at the time. I was told not to lose any weight. I was replacing a guy over 6' tall and 400 pounds. They had to emergency ship in some replace pants for me just before the gig started as I was swimming in his pants Smile

The bleaching your beard is no fun as well. Even after going through all that they weren't happy with the whiteness of my beard so I carried white hair spray with me in the morning and touch everything up before going out the first time and it lasted all day long.

People said I was the best Santa they had ever seen. I guess I liked kids and he didn't care for them so much was just there to earn the money.

I got so sick doing that run that one day Santa was whispering to the kiddies because he had developed laryngitis. I also had brown stuff coming out my tear ducts. It was a fun experience. I wasn't old either only 47.

Martin
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.