The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Magicman899,
Most of my gaffs are by Todd and I actually have an order for two items from him right now. The coins I got from ebay are with Jamie...they will be a back-up set for my Dean's Triangle.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Buy a coin shell from each and decide if one is better than the other. That would still likely cost less than Jim's fool's Dremel tool. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
I don't think I want to order from both for that would mean I would in a sense be throwing money out the window.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I've ordered some custom shells from Todd a few years ago and was extremely happy with the work. However, I understand his reputation has caught up with him now and he has become very busy keeping up with the demand. He was able to provide my coins within about a week, but now there may be a longer wait, so figure that into your timeline. It will be worth every penny and ever minute of waiting. He does excellent work.

Thanks,
Richard
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 03:12, Tom Bartlett wrote:
If you have a natural mechanical aptitude, made A s in geometry, able to think in thousandth of an inch, can read a micrometer and understand how to apply it, then pick up the newest copy of The Machinist Handbook and read it’s 1500 plus pages, before you buy any kind of a mill or lathe.

Tom,
At the risk of picking nits the publication you reference is: "Machinery's Handbook", including the Index it is 2629 pages of material in the 26th Edition.

To stay on topic: If one needs to ask where to get a milling machine, that indicates one does not know how to use same. If a person can use it, the same person will know where to find one.

Regards,
Bill Sutter
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Bill,

My copy of “American Machinist’s Handbook” is older I am, it’s the eighth edition printed in 1945. It was given to me by a friend of my dad’s, when I was 10 years old. It looks like I need to invest in a more recent printing thanks.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If one has classes avaiilable at the local Jr. College, or adult classes, one could take the calss, and have access to machines, instructions, and time to give it a go. My work has a metal hobby group and allows us all the use of a couple of machine shops after hours once a week, bring your own metal! Some fun there!
(Chips! I am making Chips! why do you ask!>)
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Chips as in gaffed chips?
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
"Making chips" has been a term used by machinist in reference to the waste material produced, when turning or milling an item. It indicates being productive. But In this situation, could mean something else, like gaffed poker chips.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13034 Posts

Profile of John C
Unless you are looking for a new hobby VS simply getting some coin shells to do tricks with you will expend countless hours in time and energy experimenting with coins to get what you need. This is why there are so few manufacturers in this marker. And the ones that came late produce stuff that doesn't work that well. They are still learning.

When I buy milk I just go to to the grocery store. I am not a farmer and would never consider buying a cow, all the equipment and learn the process. Smile

John
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Does anyone know of anyone that makes gaffed poker chips. such as flippers, shells, and maybe even a 3CM type set?
JR-mobile1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of JR-mobile1
Joe Porper makes a few poker chip items. Tabman used to. He sold his business and I'm not certain if the new owner still makes the poker chip items.

Tom is correct above about "making chips".

Jim
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2007-02-19 16:49, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Bill,

My copy of “American Machinist’s Handbook” is older I am, it’s the eighth edition printed in 1945. It was given to me by a friend of my dad’s, when I was 10 years old. It looks like I need to invest in a more recent printing thanks.

If you are interested Machinery's Handbook is available in both Printed Edition and CD at this address: http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx

Regards,
Bill Sutter
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Is there a reletively easy way to shell a poker chip?
Would hardware stores help w/ coins and chips?
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Yay? Nay?
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Not being a machinist, I would say no to magicn899. The tolerances are so close for making shells, either in coins or chips, that there is no easy way to do so. The rim is only going to be a few thousands of an inch thick, so you have to be working with a machine capable of such tolerances. It seems to me that you really have to have some kind of machinist's lathe to accomplish this. Sherline and Taig are relatively inexpensive and highly accurate, but you also need the tooling to do this. It seems it would be much easier to make an unexpanded shell, but then you have to re-mill the coins/chips it would be used with, and I have no idea how that would be accomplished - probably a milling machine, but I don't know how one would hold the coins while doing this operation. Anyone know how this would be done? While I find the idea of making my own gaffed coins appealing, it would be neither cheap nor easy. Hardware store employees are not going to be much help here, unless they are accomplished machinists (not likely). Good luck -

Bill
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2007-03-02 11:37, billfromoregon wrote:
.... but I don't know how one would hold the coins while doing this operation. Anyone know how this would be done?

I would be interested to know, as well! I took a course of night school engineering classes a few years ago, with the intention of making a few magic items of my own - bill tube, Okito box, etc... Some turned out quite well, but my attempts at creating a coin shell (basic unexpanded) were a bit of a disaster! I can see no way that you can hold a coin in a lathe's three jaw chuck, and then turn it down to next to nothing! (I did try but had to stop before the wall was so thin that the jaws would crush it.)

I've discussed the basic problem with a couple of engineers that I know, and their opinion was that I need to make a special chuck to suit the particular coin... I still have my doubts as to how this would work... Perhaps there is a way of gluing a coin to a backplate, machining it, and then removing it afterwards? ... If anyone finds out "the how", I'd love to know!
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I believe that you are right, John, about the special chuck. I seem to recall pictures of this on Todd's or Jim Riser's site some years ago. That would work for creating the shell, but you would then have to make special chucks for every diameter coin you turned. A lot of work. As for milling, this wouldn't work as you have to groove the edge of the coin, so the chuck would get destroyed. Any machinists out there care to share?
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hey All,

I thought I'd join in....

As far as Coin Gaffs, I buy all mine from Jamie Schoolcraft. His work is tremendous!!!

I have a background as a machinist and can help out a little bit. For one thing you will be working in thousands of an inch in thickness, so making shells does require a fine touch, and it has to be "dialed" in properly (centered) in order for it all to work out right. If it's out by a few thousands of an inch, the edges won't be symmetrical and you have just wasted your time.

You must also machine a mandrel to hold the coin. The lathe jaws won't hold the coin properly with thin walls like that.

On top of this, you also have to come up with a way to expand the shell for it to fit on other coins....pretty complex, huh???

It really is easier to buy the shells. I have all the available tooling to do it myself, but I still buy mine from Jamie. He's done it thousands of times and has it down to a fine art!!!

Just imagine buying some "Walking Liberties" and messing up a dozen or so before you get one right... You've just invested more than if you bought a shell. On top of this, you'd have the cost of the lathe, tooling, dial indicator, measuring equipment....etc.

Just my 2 cents.
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Thanks, everyone.
I'm going to save up and buy shells, not make them.
Does anyone know if Jamie will work poker chips into gaffs, too?