The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo Elite :: The "Secret" Project (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 03:14, tdowell wrote:

Just anodized aluminum and Tenyo, that's it.

I'm glad you see the problem the same way I do.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 03:30, Steve Brooks wrote:
It's really not Brad's fault, he probably hasn't considered the notion that TENYO in Japan just might have the final say on what is allowed and what is not. Smile

I am sure you are working under limitations. And I have considered it.

But that doesn't change my concern/interest.

Like I said, I am curious as to the direction the line takes. Could be great, Could be . . . well, tdowell said it best.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
I have said for years (as have many) that I wished TENYO were made of better quality materials and was quite excited to finally find out what the secret project was. A little more thought however has thrown up a big concern. Original TENYO products are aimed primarily at the pocket money market and so are in the hands of many kids. There is no way I can risk pulling out a prop at a paid gig and having someone say "Oh, that is just like the trick my 7 year old does". No matter how professional the prop looks and how well it is presented, it is still the same trick.
For hobbyists I think it is a great idea but I just cannot see me using one. Having said that, if crystal cleaver comes out I may have to change my mind.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1486 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Wonderful news. As a big Tenyo admirer and collector, I look forward to the new products released.

Some Tenyo that I would love to see in the Elite Range:

Metal Krazy Keys
Wooden ornate old looking Crystal Pyramid
Ninja Experiment
Jumbo Wooden Illusion Scale
Wooden Mini-Morphosis Smile
Metal Prison Box Smile

Angelo.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5938 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 06:08, matthew wright wrote:
There is no way I can risk pulling out a prop at a paid gig and having someone say "Oh, that is just like the trick my 7 year old does". No matter how professional the prop looks and how well it is presented, it is still the same trick.
I see this more along the lines of Linking Rings, Cups and Balls, and Cut and Restored Rope. Something about the performer tells the audience this is different... professional. The difference is not the prop, the guitar, the pan, etc.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Anodized aluminum is a good choice for many of these tricks - the Zig Zag Cigarette, for example.

But, please consider using wood and brass, as well.

Robert
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-25 10:47, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
There is no way I can risk pulling out a prop at a paid gig and having someone say "Oh, that is just like the trick my 7 year old does". No matter how professional the prop looks and how well it is presented, it is still the same trick.
I see this more along the lines of Linking Rings, Cups and Balls, and Cut and Restored Rope. Something about the performer tells the audience this is different... professional. The difference is not the prop, the guitar, the pan, etc.

I disagree Tom,
You can spend years working on cups, rings etc to make an individual mind-blowing routine. The tenyo products are very different. They are designed to be simple and to be used (almost as toys) straight from the box. The trick is exactly the same whether it is performed by a seven year old in plastic or an adult in metal.
I don't want to knock this new range. I think Tenyo make some genius tricks and that the Elite range will do very well and at 99% of performances will be fine. I just don't want to be seen performing the kind of tricks your kids could do. I use the same reasoning with E products. They too have some great stuff out but far too many hobby kids doing them (badly) to be used in a professional environment.
dfield
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of dfield
Have to agree with Matthew. I am sure the products will be lovely and for magicians who want to perform the same tricks kids can buy in any toy shop then this is nice. Maybe this is good for collectors of nicely made prop tricks but not for working magicians! I own a few Tenyo items, but would never dream of using them professionally knowing kids can do these out of the box. If I did it I couldn't charge the fees I do for close-up magic. You could make these out of 24 carrot gold and it still wouldn't make a difference.
I am sure there is a market for this type of magic and wish all of you the best of luck - obviously it's a good money making business otherwise you wouldn't have bothered with it - must be a market out there - just not for me as a working professional.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Wow guys...

working pro (which I am) or not...

magic and the collecting of effects should still be a part of the love for this art.

I recently aquired most of the plastic tenyo "magic works" line. not to perform but to collect! I wouldnt dream of using them in a performance...

but they are fun; and I love em! and one day the will maKe a killer introduction to magic for my kids!

lighten up everyone, this is a great opportunity for the collector, not the performer.
xxx
Anders Moden
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Anders Moden
Congratulations for doing this!

My personal request would be "TRANSPA VISION" aka "Illusionarium", although I see it would be a hassle to make.

http://www.tenyoworld.co.uk/Tenyogallery2/Transpavsn.jpg
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 15:02, Jay Are wrote:... a killer introduction to magic for my kids!

lighten up everyone, this is a great opportunity for the collector, not the performer.

Yup, an education in "good idea / bad idea" in every item and an almost certain "boys and their toys" reaction ready when you want it. Not a bad way to learn magic - take the items one at a time as lessons for the student.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5938 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 12:51, matthew wright wrote
The trick is exactly the same whether it is performed by a seven year old in plastic or an adult in metal.
It is OK to disagree, and I have to catagorically disagree with you. Magic history shows us that a real performer can take a plastic "kid's magic" prop and absolutely kill with it. Yeah, if you don't think beyond "out of the box" routines, you will never differentiate yourself from anyone else doing generic presentations.

Given the added durability and, well yeah, class of metalic props, more creative pros will be using these props to transcend their plastic parent's performances. This project should also give access to props either unavailable or sadly over priced for many due to collectibility.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2885 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Quote:
On 2009-01-24 20:23, Geoff Weber wrote:
Brass Krazy Keys please!
BRASS KRAZY KEYS . . . PLEASE!!!!
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2885 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
BRASS KRAZY KEYS . . . PLEASE!!!!

PLEASE!
PLEEEEASE!!
PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP!!!!!!

Thank you so much Steven, Peter & Jason. I will be the first one in line for many of your Tenyo Elite items.

Greg Rostami
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Tom - our history shows a real performer can take a circle of felt or an acordian of paper and kill with it. So no tricky props needed at all if you want to argue that way.

But as to taking out one's box of toys... well that can go over as nostalgiac - or not so well as a prop-comic sort of thing like an advertisement for clever muggle magic shop items which may as well have a pricetag attached. Guess there's a Hee Haw reference for folks who remember.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1486 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Quote:
Original TENYO products are aimed primarily at the pocket money market and so are in the hands of many kids. There is no way I can risk pulling out a prop at a paid gig and having someone say "Oh, that is just like the trick my 7 year old does".

Hi Matthew!

I am confused by your comment above. You say that you would never do a trick that looks like your 7 year old would do. The only place the general public can buy Tenyo tricks is in Japan where they are sold in generic toy stores. As far as I know the only place you can buy Tenyo tricks in the US or Europe is from a magic dealer. Therefore I doubt you would ever get a comment saying so.

How different are these Tenyo tricks different from standard magicians' props?

Magicians use paddle sticks, brass bill tubes, coin boxes, toy clear cars (Tamariz), production boxes, colorful tubes etc. Aren't these 'natural' Smile looking props just as out of the ordinary as some Tenyo props?

Magic is not all about doing magic with everyday objects. Its about the experience and effect. A magician is a special person and will no doubt use special artefact (props).

If there is a market for unnatural looking props in a magician's repertoire, I think there is also a market for the Elite range of Tenyo.

Just my thoughts.

Best wishes,

Angelo.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2009-01-24 17:23, tdowell wrote:
Nice, I am really looking forward to this! I can't wait for Elite versions of Prison Box and Crystal Cleaver!!!!!!

The idea of upgrading Tenyo tricks has already been done!!!

Check out Crystal Cleaver here...

https://www.thetrickery.com/?nd=reviews&......rdisplay
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 17:42, Andi Peters wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-24 17:23, tdowell wrote:
Nice, I am really looking forward to this! I can't wait for Elite versions of Prison Box and Crystal Cleaver!!!!!!

The idea of upgrading Tenyo tricks has already been done!!!

Check out Crystal Cleaver here...

https://www.thetrickery.com/?nd=reviews&......rdisplay

I own Sword of the Ring by Magic Wagon and it is not an upgrade or improvement of the original. Don't get me wrong, Sword of the Ring is a nice piece and beautiful. It presents the same effect, but, unlike Tenyo's Crystal Cleaver, it can not be examined and requires the gimmick be set manually.

Tenyo's version, while plastic, is still superior in design and stealth.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Hi Angelo!
First let me repeat my earlier posts. I think that there will be a huge market for the Elite range and it will do very well. I think Tenyo use some very clever thinking (including your own work). Some of my very first pieces of magic were Tenyo. When my nephew asked for some magic for Christmas I bought him Tenyo, a freind who works in a magic shop would often recommend tenyo to people with little or no experience in magic because they are well made, relativley simple to operate and are a great introduction to the world of magic and this is where my problem lies.
Every magician has their own vision of what magic is or should be. My own is that a magician is a figure of great power and mystery and that is the vision I work hard to put across to my audience. My own opinion is that I would rather not run the risk of diminishing that sense of mystery by performing a trick where there is the possibility (however slim) that a guest at a party can turn around and say that their child (nephew or whatever) performs that same trick. I also do not think that it gives a good impression to the booker who has spent hundreds of pounds to have me there.
I totally agree with your points about mysterious props in magic although, by some curious chance, I have non of the props you mentioned!
I am sure that performers will come up with some wonderful presentations for these props and really make them work for them. It is just my own personal choice not to use them pprofessionally, just as I choose not to use a sven or stripper deck (even if it's a nice Tally deck)
Perhaps I have been looking for a cloud for this silver lining and I seem to have upset one or two. I am sorry for that.

Looking forward to your International lecture!
Best wishes,
Matt
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 17:23, Angelo M Carbone wrote:

If there is a market for unnatural looking props in a magician's repertoire, I think there is also a market for the Elite range of Tenyo.

Best wishes,

Angelo.

Angelo is biased!! He created a trick for Tenyo a while back. LOL, I'm just joking.

Can't wait to see what is in store from us!
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary