The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Terri Rogers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Just want to give a quick shout out to one of my favourite creators - Terri Rogers.

I rank her work in the same league as the likes of Angelo Carbone, Gaetan Bloom and Lubor Fiedler.

Indeed - I can think of at least one trick of hers which is a variation of Lubor Fiedler's work. Which is quite rare since Fiedler's ideas are so unique that most magicians seem to be scared of trying to vary them.

A lot of her ideas make use of unusual topological concepts. Which just happens to be one of my biggest interests in magic.

She published three books - and they are all available as ebooks from http://www.lybrary.com - my favourite of them is TOP SECRETS:

http://www.lybrary.com/top-secrets-p-687......id=53613 - but if you like it. You should get the other two as well.

Anyway - there is a trick in there ('Twisted - The Afghan Border Race') which repeatedly fooled me for a few months. Until I eventually stumbled across the secret. It is isn't much of a trick really - but it was remarkable to me that I should be repeatedly fooled whilst playing with it. I have never had an experience quite like it.

To finish off - here is are a couple of tricks from the book which have also been released as marketed effects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd-KT015EkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO57kwRNI1k

Terri Rogers had a unique approach to creating magic. And I find it a shame that her work is not more famous.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Agreed Joe, Terri was a creative force for sure. Love the books as well although I am still trying to track down a hardcover version of More Secrets. She also put out a small book called "Wipeout" with a number of ideas using dry erase markers. Her book test the "Key" is also very good.

John
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
840 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On 2013-06-01 11:02, J M Talbot wrote:
Agreed Joe, Terri was a creative force for sure. Love the books as well although I am still trying to track down a hardcover version of More Secrets. She also put out a small book called "Wipeout" with a number of ideas using dry erase markers. Her book test the "Key" is also very good.

John

John, It maybe worth contacting John Hinchliffe who now looks after the former business of Martin Breese as he is selling lots of items from Martin's private collection.

john@abracadabra.co.uk

Tony
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.

Click Here
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
The blockbuster video was good but what I found even more amazing is the description of the marketed effect.

The effect is brief and to the point. The magician shows a polished block of wood with a slot cut deeply into it. At right angles to the slot a hole is drilled right through the block. Through a block a ribbon has been threaded and the ends of the ribbon are tied in a knot. The spectator can see that the ribbon passes through the entire block by looking through the slot.

The spectator is handed a small metal ring to examine and is asked to extend his hand palms upward. The magician places the threaded block onto the spectator's hand. The spectator is asked to push the ring deeply into the slot and the hold the ring firmly and release the block from his hand. He hesitates expecting the block and ribbon to drop to the floor - it doesn't as he discovers to his amazement that the ring has penetrated the ribbon. Read that again. It is impossible. And remember that the ring and block are totally unfaked. The effect takes place on the spectator's hand. There are no threads, pins, or magnets. This is the nearest you are going to get to a self-working miracle. The method will intrigue you as much as the effect will astound the spectators.

Now that is a great effect if it really works like stated above. Smile

Richard
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Tony.

Richard, Blockbuster is a great example of creative thinking.... not a method that you would expect. Yes the description above is possible. The first time you do this for your self it is impossible not to say "Now that's cool".
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 11:06, J M Talbot wrote:
Thanks Tony.

Richard, Blockbuster is a great example of creative thinking.... not a method that you would expect. Yes the description above is possible. The first time you do this for your self it is impossible not to say "Now that's cool".

I will have to get one then cause that is a great effect.
The books sound like a must have too.

Thanks!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
There were/are TWO versions of Blockbuster by Terri Rogers. The last "improved" version was a modification to the original design by Martin's builder, not Terri.

The improvement makes the effect almost 100% foolproof.

Julie
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 17:37, Julie wrote:
There were/are TWO versions of Blockbuster by Terri Rogers. The last "improved" version was a modification to the original design by Martin's builder, not Terri.

The improvement makes the effect almost 100% foolproof.

Julie

Good to know there are actually 2 versions. I'll have to check for the improved one. Is version 2 the one that says on the top front of the box Martin Breeze Presents thanks Julie!

http://www.amazon.com/Blockbuster-by-Ter......08Z28HUK

Richard
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Richard

I don't know what the packaging looked like, but the instructions would definitely explain about the "improvement".

(Martin and I became friends in the later part of his life and he sent me one of the first redesigned versions before the new packaging and new instructions had been printed--as I recall the instructions I received are a photo copy of his first draft.)

It might be advisable to contact John who is liquidating Martin's inventory for more precise information.

Julie
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
The Thread below goes into a little more detail on the effect. Seems like some prefer Version 1 or felt there was really little difference. I own Version 2 but have not seen version one to compare to.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 09:03, oombob wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-09 10:05, Larry Davidson wrote:
Although it is clever, I agree with those who view it as a puzzle. I would never perform this professionally for real people.

...but would you sometimes perform this amateurishly for unreal people?

I like this comment from the above thread linked about it. Smile

Richard