The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Under Appreciated Tenyo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
What are some Tenyo tricks that you think are under appreciated?
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
PILLARS OF THOR

You can't give this trick away and I know there are many hundreds of them still laying around yet to be sold.

Why has this trick lagged behind the others?

The video on Stereo's blog shows a great presentation of the trick and it is not hard to do or remember.

I recently tweaked mine to look more realistic. Instead of white painted dots I now have actually pieces of the cord in that place.

It was simple to do.

To make the holes I used an exacto knife. I inserted the point in the middle of the white dot and spun the knife around until the right size hole was made.

The cord I cut from the ends and I glued it in place with a clear glue I bought at a fabric store to stop fraying.

PILLARS OF THOR — TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT!
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I never succeed to make the routine as on the video (the final visual restauration) ... I never understand this trick.

For sure with real "dot cord" it look a lot better !
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Hummm I didn't know it only had a white dot that is stupid. I had this effect made by some other maker when I was a kid and it had a red cord with matching red cord sticking out of the holes with fraying on the ends so it really did look like you cut the cord. I thought it was great back then. Bought it and the Chinese sticks same day thought I really had something, both string tricks that can't be examined but didn't care. Smile
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
William Ogura
View Profile
New user
minnesota
28 Posts

Profile of William Ogura
To do the final restoration as seen in the video posted on tenyo blogspot do the following: the side with the shell is on top, lift the shell off of the black insert, the angle is important here, the video camera makes it easy to do, so lift it carefully upwards off the insert than place the left thumb on top of the black insert and wedged beneath the shell (thin fingers are almost a must) than slide the insert over to the other bar and press down at the same time, it will quickly snap into place. In the video the person also jerks forward to help hide the movement. It is loud but very effective, a loud setting is necessary, that or a well placed cough.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I agree with you, John, "Pillars of Thor" was a complete snooze for me, but watching that video shocked me. In the sleight-of-hand world we have a saying: The best way to bury a trick is to publish it. That's true of certain Tenyo tricks as well!

Time to reevaluate!
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Enchanted Strings would be one that I do not hear much of and feel it is under appreciated. It is one of my favourites, I can see though why it is not popular due to it being not examinable, and obviously gimmicked to anyone's eyes.

It was just one of those tricks that suprised me and brought me great joy and I thought it was ingenious in its development.
mirror mate
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of mirror mate
Wonder window dosent get much attention but I personally love it. plus Mirror Mate because iam very good at paddle magic.
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
I always liked Blue Crystal a lot, but it seems that it is also underrated. I don't use the playing card that came with it and instead like to use the blue card to cover a small object while it sinks in the the blue crystal. A locking Tenyo Elite version would be awesome!
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
No one really seems to like this one much, but I actually perform Telestar quite often. I've replaced the stars name with kids is my sons' class. When one of their fiends come over I ask them to dial up one of their classmates on the Telestar.
What I like about the trick that it can be endlessly repeated which is something kids always ask for.
The only downside with doing this trick for kids is that I first have to teach them how to dial a phone. Smile
Bill Scape
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Bill Scape
Very simple but always gets great reactions is undercover cube. A wee smasher of a trick!
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
Very old, but Flash Dice always seems to get great reactions!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
There is a routine in existence by Jeff Bloom that requires the use of Flash Dice as a prop! The whole routine is about a well known boardgame so the use of Flash Dice makes perfectly sense!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
I did a search on google but nothing came up for that... Do you have any idea where to find more info about that routine?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
It's not a particularly popular effect, but it has a small thread here nonetheless. Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

So, after reading this thread I got out "Pillars of Thor" last night and went though the instructions, prop in hand. The routine is more interesting than the video demo noted above, however the final restoration in the video demo is in the instructions at the very end as an alternate handling and it's obviously the way to go.

I'm going to practice it a few times and try it on someone in a day or two. It's very important to keep the bottoms of the sticks together as if the string is running between them at that point to create suspicion (as it does in the old wooden versions of this), and only separate the bottoms at the end when you get the restoration. This creates a double effect: not only are the spectators surprised that you can separate the sticks and there's no string connecting the bottom, you've magically restored the cut string on top. It should create a strong magical moment.

Now "Telestar!" I haven't heard anyone praise that trick, ever. But I think most people don't really try it out because it looks so antiquated. Tell us more!

Has anyone done "Golden Fleece" and had it work? I've tried (because it should be a miracle), but the two halves of the plastic ring always seem to fly apart! Suggestions would be appreciated.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Like you my Golden Fleece ailways fly apart ! Impossible to perform. But I don't try and spend very long time with this trick.
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
Same here. I tried it a bunch of times when I first got it, and like you said, it just came apart. I put it away and haven't tried it since. It is very clever if I could figure out how to get it working right.

Not much more to tell with Telestar.
While most tricks I only do once this is one that I can repeat and if I have a number of people they can all get a chance.
There is no setup, no reset.It's always ready to go. Spectators can watch you like a hawk but you don't really do anything besides hand it to them.
Even though the gimmick is in full sight noone seems to spot it. I think most people are looking for something a little more complicated.
Plus you adopt it to whatever story you want.

Like I said no one seems to like it much and yes, the colors they used for it are unfortunate, but I just have fun doing it.

With Pillars of Thor everyone I tried it on instanly guessed that they are attached on the bottom. But I haven't tried the restore at the end like in the video. Let us know how that turns out.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

I will take a Golden Fleece with me and hopefully Mr. Kato will be able to explain how it is supposed to work when I see him in Tokyo this spring.
Tom Trix
View Profile
New user
Copenhagen,Denmark
84 Posts

Profile of Tom Trix
I have 5 Phillars of Thor will not advertise this item there are so many of them on the marked.
There is no business like Showbusiness.