The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: The Phantom Clock (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blackmagicguy
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of blackmagicguy
I have the Tenyo Phantom Clock and I need to change the light bulb, and the pendulum stops swinging. Keeps time fine, any suggestions on what to check to get the pendulum to work and any suggestions on replacing the light bulb.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
For the pendulum I have open the case and fix a strong little magnet on the good part. You easily find where to put it, thinking about how the effect work seeing the mechanism.
Now for me the pendulum never stop !
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I have a 'working' and a broken Phantom Clock where the Pendulum doesn't work. Where exactly do you have to paste the magnet Davy? Can you pm me?
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I will take a photo for you, but I have to take the props apart before lol I give you news when it's done killer and I will post here the photo to help blackmagicguy too.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Thanks Davy ... .
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo

I have place a little stong round magnet in this place on the pendulum.

It is in this kind of situation you realize the difference in quality between the made ​​in China and made ​​in Japan...
Dracula bank made in Japan, perfect work and quality, perfect plastic and finitions.
Lubor's Clock made in China, cheap quality, bad plastic, poor finitions...
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Smile I'm going to give this a try with my broken one and let you know Smile

The inner quality of Phantom Clock is pretty horrible indeed Smile Imagine this trick in a gold-colored metal clock of high quality that you could and would actually USE in your living room ... . I'm so worried about my 'working' clock to fail I never use it, unless someone wants to see it working. A shame because it's a great litle illusion.

On a side note Davy, Phantom Clock is much more complex in construction and operation then Dracula Bank ... so perhaps they are hard to compare.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3063 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
After reading this post I looked over and sure enough the pendulum had stopped working on mine... Werid as it had been working last time I checked. Will have to try Davy's suggestion.

John
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Now both of my clocks stopped working ... . I want to try to do what Davy suggests but I can't open the clock intirely. I unscrewed the 4 screws in the back but on the bottom I can't take the clock apart. If I pull hard it might work but I probably end up braking something.
Also one light isn't working anymore and one of the electric wires came loose Smile Rubbish quality indeed.

Davy, is there another screw on the bottom or do you really have to pull it apart with great force?
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Yes there is 2 another screw, 4 on the back of the clock on the upper part, and 2 at the bottom part, really at the bottom.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Smile ... I see them now ... how clumsy can a person be!

Thank you Davy.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3063 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Let me know if yiu are successful Killer, I need to attempt to fix mine...
Stever46
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Stever46
I tried to place the magnet in behind the pendulum where there is a recessed circle. This did not work. Any other suggestions?
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Change the battery.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3526 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I bought one of these used.

1) What is the purpose of the on/off switch on the back? At first I thought it controlled the pendulum but the pendulum seems to run either way

2) How is the card supposed to be to the hand? Is the bit of card in the hand supposed to be quite close to the rip in the card? I'm not sure but I think my card has fallen a bit.

3) How far does the pendulum swing? My pendulum swings but it doesn't actually go past the card so I don't think it effectively creates the impression of impossibility that it should.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
1. The switch controls a light inside the clock.
2. The distance of the card from the hand can be easily seen if you Google the name of the item and then click images.
3. The pendulum should swing well past the card.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3063 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I have found with mine that the clock needs to be perfectly level for the pendulam to swing properly. Mine had stopped working (swinging) but I adjusted the level with some card board underneath it and it statred working again fine.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Yup, if it is perfectly level, my pendulum has no problem. ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3063 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
...that's what she said....Smile
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of maratekin
My Phantom Clock arm is not moving much (even after changing the batteries). Does anyone have the pics from Stereo’s post? I’d like to try the magnet fix.

Thanks -

Mark