The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Shigeru Sugawara of Tenyo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Has anybody played around with any of Shigeru Sugawaras' latest non-Tenyo effects? There are at least 7 of them. Feedback would be great.

Thanx all
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Please provide links!
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Salutations Richard. Seo magic has a handful of demos on their site.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Is Mr. Sugawara still working at the Tenyo company? His latest release (?) was Fortune Donut in 2007 according to the Tenyo website.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Greetings David. It's always good to read your stuff around here my friend. From what I've been told (which I am unable to confirm), Mr. Sugawara is retired from Tenyo. It appears that the latest releases are from his own company or in conjuction with another firm. Again, I am unable to confirm this as I have not purchased any of the latest batch of effects.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Yes, he retired from Tenyo a few years ago. His greatest genius is in producing mechanical devices which Tenyo made in plastic (and were expensive to manufacture). So, on his own, he won't be able to create the same kinds of things.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3063 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Although check out his Holey Stick...

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/955

Looks great in the video and crafted in wood. Reminds me of Mikames Mystery Key Holder, but with more phases and looks much easier to carry in your pocket.

John
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Thank you for the confirmation Richard. I totally agree with you John that Holey Stick looks interesting. To me it seems the best of the bunch. Just going by the demo only thou.

With Mr. Sugawara gone from their line-up, I feel Tenyo has lost their right arm. It appears also that Mr. Hiroshi Kondo has retired or transfered to another department. Nothing since 2003. If this is correct...there goes Tenyos' left arm. The remaining veterans would be Tomoyuki Shimomura, Toru Suzuki & the less prolific, but talented Hideo Kato. The importance of Lubor Fiedler becomes paramount imo. In many ways, as Killertweety has stated in the past...the golden years of Tenyo are gone. I'd be interested in knowing if all the changes in Tenyo of late (Japanese packaging only, etc), are due to streamlining as sales are trickling downward with the original masters now out of the line-up. I'd also recommend hanging onto the original masterpieces or fill your missing slots asap. Thank you Mr. Sugawara & Mr. Kondo for all you both have shared.

It will be interesting to see how the new school crew will attempt to fill these rather large shoes. Best of luck team.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Thanks for the heads up on those effects!

I checked out all 7 of those effects.

Holy Stick really looked great and being wood it is more appealing to me and also reminded me of Mikames Mystery Key Holder soon as I seen it. Small shirt pocket size effect in wood great stuff.

The Eight Penetration was as good a Tenyo effect as I ever seen especially showing the inside of the card frame makes it very impressive to see done.

Guri Guri Card was an amazing instant change to chosen card. That was very visual change with no funny movements and cards in view the whole time really nice.

I really liked Ring & Ribbon that was truly magical right there. Penetrated it in many ways wasn't just a one time quick trick. If that can be inspected which I doubt it is real magic!

And W-Hole Deck that too very nice effect liked it very much, like that the spectators finger can be used as well being it doesn't fill the hole completley makes it even more magical to watch.

Again I will be glad to find out if any of these can be inspected very cool.

I think the Ribbon & Ring was my favorite it was done without any cover and the ribbon just melted right through the ring effortlessly very magical to watch that is going to be a big seller. It is big enough for close up or stage.

Those are the 5 of the 7 I would buy.

After watching those I think Tenyo better look out they may be taking a back seat for the ride if he keeps this up especially if he can produce more than just 5 effects a year he will do great by himself.
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Mr. Hiroshi Kondo is always in Tenyo but now it's the General Director of the companie. A true nice story as he beging on simple creator and years after years he have gain new responsability to become the number one.

Yes Lubor fiedler can be a true luck for Tenyo because he have many clever idea. His 2013 Tenyo trick looks amazing, maybe one of his best creation... and 4-D surprise, Third eyes and Flying Carpet are very innovative in their thinking an idea and design.
Lubor creativity + Tenyo knowledge it's good team and I'm not sure that Tenyo is finish and the golden age is behind.
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
What??.....I read well?....2013 trick from Lubor Fiedler and you already have info?....could you share some more? Smile
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2012-05-28 14:50, MrWizard wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on those effects!

I checked out all 7 of those effects.

Holy Stick really looked great and being wood it is more appealing to me and also reminded me of Mikames Mystery Key Holder soon as I seen it. Small shirt pocket size effect in wood great stuff.

The Eight Penetration was as good a Tenyo effect as I ever seen especially showing the inside of the card frame makes it very impressive to see done.

Guri Guri Card was an amazing instant change to chosen card. That was very visual change with no funny movements and cards in view the whole time really nice.

I really liked Ring & Ribbon that was truly magical right there. Penetrated it in many ways wasn't just a one time quick trick. If that can be inspected which I doubt it is real magic!

And W-Hole Deck that too very nice effect liked it very much, like that the spectators finger can be used as well being it doesn't fill the hole completley makes it even more magical to watch.

Again I will be glad to find out if any of these can be inspected very cool.

I think the Ribbon & Ring was my favorite it was done without any cover and the ribbon just melted right through the ring effortlessly very magical to watch that is going to be a big seller. It is big enough for close up or stage.

Those are the 5 of the 7 I would buy.

After watching those I think Tenyo better look out they may be taking a back seat for the ride if he keeps this up especially if he can produce more than just 5 effects a year he will do great by himself.

I really enjoyed Holy Stick, Guri Guri Card (wish they had it in blue back), Ring and Ribbon, and W Hole Deck.

Very nice, Smile.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Quote:
On 2012-05-28 16:17, magic patagonia wrote:
What??.....I read well?....2013 trick from Lubor Fiedler and you already have info?....could you share some more? Smile

If my memory is good it's Richard who say that the 2013 Line have a lubor Fiedler trick. Maybe ask him for more.
I can tell you more but after I have to kill you lol So I prefer to leave this task to another because I love you well !
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
You're more than welcome Mr.Wizard. I'm glad that you may have found a gem or two in the bunch for your repertoire. Cheers to fellowship. Maybe you could write your impressions in the future if you score any of these effects. It would be a help to all.

Great story on Mr. Kondos' career path Stereo. As for Lubor Fiedler, his last 4-5 effects have definitely melded the time honoured tradition of combining science with illusion. He is currently on an optical kick I'd say. I in no way meant to infer that Tenyo is played out. I'm sure that they have many surprises in store for all of us yet. I do however believe that the days where every trick in their annual release schedule is a winner are done. This could be due to the fact that some of us have way more experience in magic in general as the years pass & it is harder to wow us now. Also, I see the creators as tradesmen. First apprenticeship then journeymen. Time will tell. There are exceptions of course...Toru Suzuki's Crystal Cleaver debut. As an aside, I'm truly surprised by the high scores that GeomeTrick generated on your blog. It did not perform well upon release. A case of increased reputation as the years go by I guess or we were all slow in seeing its uniqueness.

Magic Patagonia. I don't know if he can legally spill more. Kinda like a movie teaser trailer huh.
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Quote:
On 2012-05-28 19:18, stereo wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-28 16:17, magic patagonia wrote:

If my memory is good it's Richard who say that the 2013 Line have a lubor Fiedler trick. Maybe ask him for more.
I can tell you more but after I have to kill you lol So I prefer to leave this task to another because I love you well !

I am really keen to know about this 2013 Tenyo effect. I recall reading somewhere that they make the final decisions for the upcoming line in the late spring/early summer.

John
Skyker
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Skyker
Great tricks. I really like The Eight Penetration! Thanks for sharing.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Last year I have publied the first informations about new line on 15 June, so there is no long to wait if the information arrives to the same period than last year. I am just as anxious as you to share informations, even a little bit of patience !

Shigeru Sugawaras tricks looks good, but price are hight for small budget, maybe because it's hand made and with small quantity.

When you think about, the price of magic tricks sold by Tenyo are EXTREMELY low compared to what is happening in the market. For 20 euros you can have a pretty amazing effects, often ingenious, boasting a sleek design and with beautiful package and clear instruction. This is clearly amazing in fact. It's probably also why Tenyo has the success, because even if you do not have much money you can easily buy a Tenyo and you know you will not be disappointed because the majority of the collection is good, and it is really easy to see what will have to buy thanks to simple and clear videos.
I think it's also the strength of Tenyo, this is another reason that makes this brand of success. Everything is done so that the product is EXTREMELY attractive, and makes you want to know more, then collect. This is something unique in the world of magic.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I think maybe Shigeru Sugawaras tricks are trying to go after a different group of buyers and will get the higher prices easily like Mikame did. Tenyo it seems was at least marketed to start with for children as their main target market and maybe still. So the prices have to be low as possible and still be making a good profit. And is also why they might discontinue an item so soon after cause they have to make a couple 1000 in a run to keep the price down. Once the sales drop off they cannot see it worth doing another production run, take too long to get the money back. Nice to have another source out there with the same kinda genius design to the gimmicks being available anyway. He has proven to be a great inventor working for Tenyo so many know who he is already and those who don't SEO is making it known on their site to potential buyers who he is so that is brilliant marketing right there to get him up and running on his own. Just an opinion
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Hideo Kato retired from Tenyo at least five years ago and went to work for Mr. Maric, a Japanese TV magician.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I'm now collecting Magic Wagon and Magiro as some of you know, but they are often VERY expensive. Magic Wagon for me is Tenyo on steroids. But Tenyo's will remain my litle treasures and my favourite brand ... . They are, let's face it, cheap compared to other micro magic. Easy to do, cheap, good quality - like Stereo sais. The magic community and especially the collectors of micro magic should be VERY happy a company like Tenyo exists.