The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Close up pad for reenactment (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Do you all use a close up pad for reenactment? If so, what? A regular one or something else?
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Bump
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Greetings. I'm a civil war re-enactor, but only perform an occational trick for the other guys in the unit now and then (aka hobbyist), so I'm afraid I'm not much help with your question. Are you trying to find a more period alternative to the modern close up pad?
Bob
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Yes, I am
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I've collected a few of the older books on magic during the early to late 1800's, and this is a topic I hadn't considered before. So what follows is strickly off the top of my head.

As the saying goes, form follows function. Are you performing any tricks that require a cushioned pad, such as a matrix routine? If so, your best bet might be to simply hide the pad under a table cloth. If not, then my gut instinct would be to think along the lines of what would the magicians of the day have used. Likely a plain wooden surface or one with a cloth thrown over it. People were very fugal in the old days out of necessity, so to the extent you can repurpose another common period item for your needs even better. Maybe as simple as a coat thrown over a table top. And along those line one could also improvise a table if needed, such as a barrel with an old checker board on top, or a short board between two chairs, a hard tack box, etc.

If you can share a few more specifics such as any performance requirements you have (i.e. do you need a cushy pad, just an appropriate surface to work on), what re-enacting period are you targeting (civil war, American revolution, indian wars, 1812, etc.), what the working environment/venue is like, what have you been using and what was the motivation for seeking out a more period appropriate close-up pad. These details will help us to brian storm other possible solutions to consider.

This is a good question and I'm glad you brought it up.
Bob
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Go to Peir One and check out their placemats, see if there's anything you like...they usually have interesting ones. Cut a pad out of an old (thick) wool blanket or find a thick piece of felted wool. Have a leather pad made with a nice tooled edge. Or if possible rework your routines so you don't need a pad, this gets everything up higher, more visible and possibly in the spectator's hands more.
~Gavin
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Good questions. What I am doing right now is California gold rush. For most people, life was rough but a very few miners (and merchants) became fabulously wealthy and could afford stuff like velvet. I have also done ren faires. Similar situation.

No, I don't really have to have a pad. Mostly just curiosity.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Would love to see your act but sadly I'm located on the opposite coast, near the DC area. If I ever get out that way I'll look you up.
Bob
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
On my table there is a dish drying pad under a green wool blanket that serves as a tablecloth.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I have order through ebay some rabbit pelt, painted the leather side with cryptic symbols works great as a pad.
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Gomerel,
Locate a woven rug (dinner place mat size) that has the right surface nap or pile & you will have what you need. Check rug merchants, linen shops, & thrift stores. Take a deck of cards with to check how they'll spread on the rug's surface, or cups or...
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I've a loom-woven dish towel that I picked up at the RenFest some years ago that has served me well. Not sure exactly how 'period' it is, but I've received no critiques on the pad (my performance may be a different story;) )
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Crap Illusionist
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of The Crap Illusionist
Hi All,

I have been using the suede side of some thick soft leather that I have buckled into a roll. Although I am intending to start with the Shell Game and need something with a little more give in it...

One reason is to stop cards landing in beer!

So you are not the only one with these issues and I am loving this section and thread!

Thanks,

Crap
The Crap Illusionist
Medieval Magician, Mentalist and Part-time Escapologist...
Member of the Leicester Magic Circle...
TWITTER: @CrapIllusionist
Gaaargh
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gaaargh
Some sort of carpet is appropriate for just about any period.

It was mentioned in Hocus Pocus Junior in 1635.

"He that is to play must sit on the farther side of a Table, which must be covered with a carpet"
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2017, Gaaargh wrote:
Some sort of carpet is appropriate for just about any period.

It was mentioned in Hocus Pocus Junior in 1635.

"He that is to play must sit on the farther side of a Table, which must be covered with a carpet"

Having done some research on early period "carpets," I would like to suggest that the kind of "carpet" that is referred to is most like similar to thin "Oriental" rugs. A lot of sixteenth century paintings include carpets. Also, carpets probably would include the material that was used in making traveling bags in the 1800s, ie. as in "carpetbaggers." The type of stuff we put on our floors today would be very wrong.

A lot of upholstery fabric might fit the bill. Also, kilims ("Oriental" rug) are a good option.

HLT
Gaaargh
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gaaargh
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, HenryleTregetour wrote:
A lot of upholstery fabric might fit the bill. Also, kilims ("Oriental" rug) are a good option.

That's good information. Do you think that a place-mat, or table runner in a pattern to a kilim would fit?
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, Gaaargh wrote:

That's good information. Do you think that a place-mat, or table runner in a pattern to a kilim would fit?

Hi Gaaargh!

Thanks!

You will need a rectangle that covers the table top with several inches to hang down. I think it is important to cover the top with a good 8-12 inches overhang on the front and sides of the table. That will allow you to do any sneaky stuff you need to do. The back part of the table (where you will be seated/standing) should only have a few (3-4) inches overhang--enough to produce stability so the cover won't slip but not too much, so that it doesn't interfere with your "dirty deeds."

Now I say this without any actual experience of doing it before a crowd. However, when I practice C&B I am seated behind a small table, I drape a bath towel in such a fashion. I do have several different sheets of upholstery fabric with different patterns that I can use. But one thing to remember is you have to select fabric which will allow some contrast with the items you are using. For instance, red balls on a red "carpet" does not really work. I am still trying to decide which fabric to use.

Upholstery comes in many different designs, including "Oriental" patterns. Based on my research into medieval and Renaissance era rugs, that is most likely the kind referred to in Hocus Pocus. Real "Oriental" rugs come in a variety of thicknesses depending upon what kind of weave and thread are used. If you are using a thin cloth, you might try adding a thin layer of batting material (quilted with a little padding) to the bottom. But this is conjecture on my part, as I have not tried it.

With regards to C&B, the rug serves (at least) two purposes. First, it prevents the ball from rolling away (a big problem on a flat surface). Second, it muffles any sounds that are created, which is the reason also you should use balls with some degree of softness as opposed to wooden or metal balls.

As for table, probably your best bet for a period production is something like the wooden collapsible food tray tables where the legs comprise two "Xs;" that design dates back to at least ancient Rome and probably earlier (IIRC I believe I have seen an ancient Egyptian chair with that basic construction). For the table I am using, the top is too small, so currently I put a larger board on it. When I get a chance I will affix a larger board to it.

I hope this helps,

HLT
Habbrock
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
I use a felted mat my wife made me. Looks appropriate and still serves the purpose.
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Habbrock wrote:
I use a felted mat my wife made me. Looks appropriate and still serves the purpose.

Sounds like that would work well!

HLT
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
For years I have used a piece of suede, cut to the size of a place mat. It offers a nice, cushion that will muffle noise, and not enough bounce for the ball to catch in the chop cup. When not in use, I roll it up and place it into my bag.