The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Black Magician Character (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Didiman Eddy Fakri
View Profile
New user
indonesia
3 Posts

Profile of Didiman Eddy Fakri
Sorry my bad english,
I'm Didiman from indonesia.

anybody can suggest a character about black magician?
I'm in searching of magician character.

need an advice from seniors here in themagiccafe.com

thank you very much
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Whaddup tho, bro?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
This is not what you are looking for, I imagine, but you might find this interesting. It is about the first successful stage magician, hypnotist and ventriloquist in the United States:

"Despite the fame of the fictional Harry Potter, Richard Potter--a free black man of New Hampshire--is credited as America’s first successful stage magician, hypnotist and ventriloquist.

Legend says he was able to climb a rope and disappear while performing outdoors surrounded by spectators. That's the legend.

His best known illusion was "crawling through a log" and Potter could throw his voice, especially using bird sounds, with great skill.

Whether he was the first to use a ventriloguist’s doll or dummy isn’t known. Reportedly Potter was rhe son of an English baronet and an African American serving woman (some say "slave").

He was educated in Europe and traveled widely before beginning his 25 year career as a performer in post-Revolutionary America.

He lived with his father in Hopkington, NH and later married and lived in Andover, NH.

Potter’s prestidigitation with eggs, money and cards was considered of scientific interest and he often performed at the Columbia Museum in Boston. He could throw knives and touch a hot iron to his tongue, walk on flames, dance on eggs without breaking them.

He performed in New York and all over New England. Charles Brewster, in his history of Portsmouth, NH refers to Potter as living on what is now State Street. Potter apparently had a son of the same name who performed magic like his father. In 1813 Potter, a successful performer, bought a 175-acre farm in Andover, NH, in the village now known as Potter’s Place.

Potter and his wife Sally were buried in the front yard of their estate, but the bodies were later moved by the town to a their current location. His story intrigued Harry Houdini who included Potter in his popular magazine of magic.

He was America's first successful magician, ventriloquist and hypnotist.

And here is some more:

Richard Potter

Richard Potter was born in 1783 and lived 52 years. He was married to his wife Sally and had 3 children.

Richard Potter is said to be the first black magician in the United States. One of The earliest records of Potter advertising a show was in Boston, November 2nd, 1811 at the Columbian Museum. The show featured Ventriloquism and Magic, And for the following 22years Richard Potter performed in Boston, and through New England and Canada.

The list of effects Richard Potter performed during his career is a mix of close-up and large stage illusions, Among them are:

o Crawling Through a Log.
o Frying Eggs in a Hat.
o Hindu Rope Trick "Believed to be the first to perform it in the US"
o Breaking Borrowed Watches and Restoring them.
o Handle and Swallow Molten Lead.
o Go into an oven with raw meat and remain in oven until meat was cooked.
o Dance on Eggs and not break them.

Richard Potter was also a accomplished Ventriloquist and Juggler which he also featured in his shows.

Richard Potter lived on a 175-acre farm in Andover that he purchased in 1814, The Potter estate consisted of several rooms on the first floor, But the second floor was said to be one big room. The Potter's would have lavish dinner parties at there home, Where Richard would entertain with Magic or Ventriloquism. Potter was very successful and it is said that he made $4800 for a 20 day engagement in Alabama in the early 1800's.

Sometime after his death and the death of his wife Sally, Who passed away 1 year after Richard at the age of 45. The house burned down. Potter and his wife Sally were buried on their estate in what was their front yard, In 1849 the town moved the graves to where the are now to make room for the railroad.

All that remains to this day is a small plot with the gravestones of Richard Potter and his wife Sally. Inscribed on Richard's Stone is "In Memory of Richard Potter the celebrated Ventriloquist, Aged 52 years. Died Sept. 20 1835"

IBM Ring 166 is proud to share the name of Richard Potter. As we continue a long history of magic in New Hampshire and celebrate the life of one of Americas finest magicians."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Pop:

Thanks for that great bit of history. Last night, I attended a Richard Potter magic show performed by Robert Olson. Held at Howard Thurston's memorial at Greenlawn Cemetery in Columbus, Ohio, it was a wonderful show, and a real lesson on performance and staging by Mr. Olson.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"