The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Legality on impersonating movie characters ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mach
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Mach
I was wondering what the legal issues in regards to copyrights/trademarks would be in trying to perform dressed in attire resembling characters from movies. I.e. If I was to perform dressed as the Riddler or Joker from Batman ?
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
To do this legally you would need to license this from the trademark owner. If you can find a Riddler or Joker outfit at a costume store you can wear it. The problem comes in advertisng yourself as the Joker from Batman or whatever. If you live outside LA or NY you can probably get away with it, though not exactly kosher.
Mach
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Mach
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. So basically am I free from a lawsuit if I just merely buy a costume and dress up as said characters and perform, but refrain from using any images or references to said characters in adverts ?
Mach
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Mach
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. So basically am I free from a lawsuit if I just merely buy a costume and dress up as said characters and perform, but refrain from using any images or references to said characters in adverts ?
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I am not a trademark or copyright attorney, or any type of attorney for that matter, but a friend has been operating her birthday business with Barbie, Hanna Montana, and other characters, without hassle, by following these rules.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I once wanted to use the "The Mask" character in dress at Disneyland as a face character, but it was impossible due to the fact that I or Disney needed to get the rights to do so.
I think this will be same as soon as you do public presentation and specially if you get pais for it, ith or without advertising.

Oliver.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I don't think my friend follows the letter of the law as closely as Disney.
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
THere are many complexities associated with not just characters, but people. Chrysler was sued for hiring someone to impersonate Bett Midler for a car commercial... An electronics manufacturer was sued by Vanna White and lost when they created a robotic letter turner for a commercial about life in the future.

In the 1970s George Lucas went after The Magic Magazine (not the current one) when they published a Star Wars inspired trick.

YOu aren't just dealing with trademark and copyright issues, but also the right of privacy and the right of publicity....

You can do a character inspired by another character, but be very careful and tread lightly.