The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Performed my medicine show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
This past weekend, I performed my medicine show in its entirety for the first time for the general public. It was a charity event at a church. The church was presenting a "Christmas Store" where people could get free food, gifts for their children and clothing. It was excellent practice, however, it was a less than ideal audience. I think a lot of the people just wanted to get their free stuff and leave. Babies were crying, people making noise (at first). A child walked behind my table and pulled out one of my props. I also knocked my stacked cups over in my cups and balls routine (but quickly recovered).

Here are some of the things I learned:

1. I like bad puns more than most people, but if you are laughing, then others tend to laugh as well.

2. The amazement that can be created with a Lota Pot is completely out of proportion to the simplicity of the effect. I will credit having a good story as creating some of the positive response.

3. A fake crow from the dollar store still looks like a real one from five feet away. I think people just expect a magician to produce a real bird. I got a nice reaction when I threw it over my shoulder.

4. Even if you mess up (knocking over my cups) keep moving right along and most people will never know.

5. If you are going to have someone read something out loud, make sure they can read well. It is unbearable listening to a kid struggle to read words that you would assume that they could read and then having to do the magic and the reading out loud, yourself.

All in all, I was really pleased. I script out my shows and memorize my scripts. I then rehearse them on video and watch for where I need to make changes. After doing this, I am really confident with the routine. This allows me to relax and have fun, which I did.

There was another magician who performed after me and I asked for his evaluation. He was very complimentary of the show, but there is always something in the way of constructive criticism to offer. I think he just declined to do so.

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone here and encourage everyone who thinks they are interested in public performance to get out there and do it. It is definitely a learning experience to do a full show. Just be well rehearsed and have a good presentation before you do so (please).
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Even if things didn't go totally right during the show, it seems to me as if they did after the show. You examined what happened, and learned something from it. I predict you will have much better performances in the future! Congrats!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
profgizmo
View Profile
New user
Florida
54 Posts

Profile of profgizmo
Congratulations on your show! Scripting this type of show is so important. I have trouble writing it all out, but it makes the show go so much better, and so much easier to ad lib when the majority is already written.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Congratulations on your performance. Sounds like you did all the right stuff. Hard audience to work because of the free stuff. I have done shows as a mid break for MDA events n the past. Hard to get the audience really into your act if they are there for something other then to just see you. Keep at it and you will better yourself.

Steven