The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Renaissance Fairs and Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
What I mean is, I appreciate your sharing your knowledge, especially if I've been told wrong then I definately want to know about it, but please think about how you are saying it sometimes.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
867 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 05:50, pepka wrote:
My friend on the other hand performed fire-eating, the Slydini rope routine, sponge balls, Linking Rings, his trademark marshmallows over head routine, (he called them soft confections, not marshmallows) repeated Lota bowl gag, and straight jacket escape.

Sponge balls, marshmallows, SJ-escape... well that's not period either, is it? Or am I picky? I would not go there. (Unless the spongballs are made of wool, the SJ is made of leather and in a different fascion than a traditional SJ and the marshmallows are thrown out of the show instread of over the head.)

/Ark
Magician, juggler and slack rope walker

arkadia.se
metalwriting.com
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
Quote:
On 2009-04-27 16:18, Arkadia wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 05:50, pepka wrote:
My friend on the other hand performed fire-eating, the Slydini rope routine, sponge balls, Linking Rings, his trademark marshmallows over head routine, (he called them soft confections, not marshmallows) repeated Lota bowl gag, and straight jacket escape.

Sponge balls, marshmallows, SJ-escape... well that's not period either, is it? Or am I picky? I would not go there. (Unless the spongballs are made of wool, the SJ is made of leather and in a different fascion than a traditional SJ and the marshmallows are thrown out of the show instread of over the head.)

/Ark

Well since Pepka is referencing my act, I'll retort...
1) Sponges are one of the oldest living creatures on the planet. The sponges I use are shaped natural sopnges that are dyed red.
2) Marshmallows date back to ancient Egypt.
3) Jacket- type restraint devices were used in the 1500's. The jacket I use is not a modern jacket.
But none of those facts really matter, because the bottom line is that it's about entertainment. Management does not hire me to give history lessons; they hire me to entertain. Yes, I take great pains to be "period"- I've taken dialect classes, studied English history, and read "Shakespeare for Dummies". But if I have to take some artistic license, so be it. Let's be completely honest, a 100% historically accurate ren faire would be the most vile place on the planet.
I think maybe twice in the last 5 years a patron has tried to call me out on some historical inaccuracy. Considering that I've done my show for thousands, those odds are fine with me.
Cheers;
Mike
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2008-07-05 22:11, Bill Palmer wrote:
Discouerie of Witchcraft is not a particularly good source, when you compare it to Hocus Pocus, Junior.. There are few actual explanations of the material in DOW. Scot was not a magician. He exposed some tricks but his explanations are very skimpy. HPJ, on the other hand, was written by either a magician or someone who was a very dedicated hobbyist. It has more precise and detailed instructions than DOW.

It also has more illustrations of the critical material.

So what would you gain from either book an insite on what was performed and how?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
DOW gives you insight to what might have been performed during Scot's time. He might have seen the various feats performed himself or he could be describing second hand tricks others had told him about. There is a chance that he might have interviewed a jugler from his time an used that information to write the meager section on conjuring or he could have back wards engineered the tricks that he had seen and heard about. We just don't know.

HPJr. On the other hand not only provides us with a smattering of tricks (mostly drawn from DOW) But also gives us workable methods and more importantly presentations and patter. Thus HPJr. gives us a more robust glimpse into the inner workings of a 16th century juglers working repertoire.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I have a museum quality full color poster of this Bosch painting, suitable for framing, complete with certificate. I have posted elsewhere that it is available, but no takers PM' or emailed me for details, or to make an offer.

Kotah
tom crecelius
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tom crecelius
After reading several posts, I find that my own character of Merlin is great for winter festivals, mid-winter feasts and the like, but the wig and beard are way too hot for summer, so I developed another summer wizard character, minus the wig and beard. Never had a problem justifying my historical Merlin.... especially after the history channel and national geographic specials on Tintagel
Tom