The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Immpromptu (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
Does anyone agree that scripted jokes look so false - no matter how well they are performed?
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Actually I do disagree. I believe you may be confusing "scripted" with rote memorization. My shows are timed and flow according to how the audience is reacting but I generally use the same lines. The key is to present them in a new unit of time so they are always fresh.

If I had to use them exactly the same, show after show, it would become tiresome and it would show. Professional comedians work and work on set pieces they can add or subtract to their act. These pieces generally stay the same and are honed over time to get the most bang for the buck.

I think we should approach our magic in much the same manner.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Hate to disagree with you bigdunk007. Let me give you an example. Lets use Mac King and Dana Daniels.
They use the same jokes at the same time every time. He does this because the jokes work, and he has a command of comedic timing. I've never seen him deviate from this to far. I have talked with them both and both have said this. They do allow room to play with the audience but he keeps it structured so that it doesn't get out of hand.
So take it from the pros. Learn to say the script joke as natural as possible it will make for a better show
Cheers- Chris
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Bigdunk,
While I would generally agree with you, it would depend greatly on the joke and the performer.

A scripted joke by the performer and for the performer would usually work.

A scripted joke from a joke book or written by someone else for someone else would probably not work.

Are you referring to the need for a script, or the "need" for audience-tested jokes?

"Canned" jokes are all but useless.

However, your own script for your own show is essential.